WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Well crap :(

xgeetx

Question

now that I think about it, the only thing you will probably want from stewcrews car is the front core support. the fenders have been rolled with a fork lift and the hood fell on the ground when earl was taking parts off of it.

It was sort of tossed but who is keeping score=P It is still a really straight hood. Might have some rock chips. At least you didn't need a windshield...

I'm wondering if my car wasn't lowered (thanks a lot Earl! :) ) if the damage would have come into the bumper instead of the headlight... although maybe it's better this way? You guys are all awesome. Unfortunately I don't have time to get in and take a look at it until Sunday :(. Any of you guys in the Milwaukee area interested in helping with an assessment in trade for some beer & pizza :)?

You might not want the fenders. We rolled them. With a hammer. And a forklift. So. Yep. Maybe some parts are salvageable. But most certainly not the areas we hit with a hammer. Or. A huge forklift.

Earl more or less explained rolling fenders... how does a forklift work into that process?

Hate to say it, but on a car this age, unless you're absolutely in love with and devoted to this particular car, you're probably better off junking it and getting another. Maybe use this one for parts for the new one. 

I know where you're at, and would feel the same way about my other car if this happened to it, but, I'd have to make the same decision.

Got the hood open!

The radiator expansion tank is completely busted, which now makes me think that my "hoping" the smoke/steam was washer fluid may have been an overheated engine after all :(. Which also means I'm a freaking idiot for thinking I could drive it off the freeway lol. I guess I was frantic.

The radiator itself looks fine from the angle I can see it... the upper and lower hose connections look good and the aluminum "fins?" themselves don't have any coolant on them. The fan has some broken fins, so i'm not sure if that force pushed hard into the water pump. As you guys guessed, the core support/ radiator mount definitely need replaced. I'm not entirely sure about the bumper... it looks fine but where it mounts on the passenger side would probably need welded or something.

Also, related to Earl's picture earlier, I think the fender mount is bent at the very end of the bar... not sure how fixable that is. It's not looking good guys :(

Anybody have an extra expansion tank so that when I get a lot of the front pieces off I can at least start it up and see how it does, or is that a lost cause? As you can tell, I'm not exactly sure what the best "approach" is in this situation, and I don't want to waste too much money at a mechanic if I'm just going car shopping this weekend.

Edit: Which temperature sensor sends information to the cluster gauge? I know there is a sensor on the passenger side of the radiator... that one is completely busted... but now I'm wondering if the engine temp is fed from a different sensor. Although the expansion tank was totally destroyed, the car never left 12 o'clock temperature...

The one on the side of the radiator is for the aux electric fan in front of the radiator and A/C condenser.  Only about 30$ for one.

Okay, thanks. So the one for my temperature gauge is actually on the engine? If my temp. stayed at operating temp the whole time, should I be safe with regards to an overheat or is it just too hard to say?

Yes, the obd2 sensor has 4 pins on the connector, you are obd2 in '98.  The obd1 has 2 different sensors right next to each other, one has 1 pin and the other has 2.  I have an Autometer water temp gauge so I replaced the gauge sender in the head with that one, I leave the stock sender plugged in hanging in the area behind the oil filter housing to roughly measure underhood temps.

Thanks guys. Earl, I'm going to post some more pics tonight to show the damage to that fender mount area. Also the piece of metal that wraps over where the strut bolts in and comes down to the front of the wheel well is pretty messed up in the corner. I don't think it affected the tire or suspension, but that may also be something that can't easily be repaired. When I post them, if you could give me a best guess that'd be great :D