WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Cleaned the IACV today

6670charger

Question

Cleaned the IACV today. Was having some problems with rough idle and generally crappy running for the past couple of days beginning with the -14 temps the other morning on the way home from work. Check Engine light on. The car would just barely stay running at idle. Same thing when I started it up to back out of the driveway this afternoon. Figured I'd start by cleaning the IACV. Decided it couldn't hurt, anyway.

Car is an 88 325ic. Pulled the IACV and took a look at it. Didn't look too dirty just eyeballing it, but, got some brownish drainage when I sprayed it out. Sprayed it until it drained clear. Did the same with the rubber hose and metal elbow going into the TB. Put it all back together again, and although it ran a little rough for the first couple of seconds after initial ignition, it smoothed right out, and no more Check Engine light. Went for a drive to warm it up, and it drove great the whole time!

Question: How frequently should one clean this part? Thinking that maybe I should do this twice a year when I do my oil changes; early spring and late fall just to be safe. Any thoughts? Am I going overboard?

9 answers to this question

Run an oil catch can and you will probably never have to mess with it again. The moisture, oil, and petrol byproducts can corrode or gunk up the ICV depending on if your engine runs at operating temperature normally or only does short drives in the winter. I have never had to clean mine out in the 4 years I have owned my car fwiw

Tooth brush and some carb cleaner is all you should need!

Yep. I sprayed mine out with cleaner about four times. Kept spraying and dumping out the liquid until it came out clear. 

Mine only took a few minutes as the unit sits right on top of the engine. Yours, if I recall from working on an E39 IACV in Germany, is buried somewhere under the intake and requires removing a few items to access it. The cleaning aspect, once you get to yours, is quick and simple.