WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Oil drain plug broke off in pan!!

RamRod E28

Question

Ok don't know if this has been covered here in wibimmers but I guess this is a common problem with bmws... I was changing my oil on this ever so warm Wisconsin winter day and the drain plug came out just fine and drained all my oil on the e46 and went to put the plug back in and as I was ever so lightly tightening the plug snap!!! the head of the plug came off... thank go that its a hollow threaded plug so I bough an extractor for it and will hopefully have it out tomorrow (not freezing my ass off anymore today!!!) I will keep youz guyz posted on the results tomorrow.

5 answers to this question

Good luck, I have heard of this happening with magnetic oil plugs due to the hollow design, should come out easy enough.  I have a drain plug here that you can have (assuming it is the same as an m20/m50, not sure why they would have changed it) m12x1.5 threaded portion is about 18mm long, overall about 25mm.  17mm head.

Make sure the extractor is warm. Store it inside tonight and even warm it up right before using it, also make sure the oil pan bolt is warm, point a heat gun on it prior to working on it if possible. Your chances of breaking an extractor are very high in this weather.

got it out!!! thank god!!! just used and easy out and out it came... weird how when use a tool for a specific purpose that it was made for it actually works. also changed the oils and rotated the tires on my snow beast where I found that the previous owner had almost completely knotted the FL brake hose glad it didn't break on me and explains why the brakes were kinda soft... still wanna put braided steel lines on it for better pedal feel.