WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e46 m3 coilovers

Mike31

What do you want out of the coilovers? Are you looking for rage drifting madness  -12 degrees of camber and .5'' of ground clearance? Something comfortable and just looking for height adjustment? Or something to improve the handling? The options for the E46 are awesome and there is something to fit every need. I went with something in the middle ground, because this is my daily and wont be seeing track days, I already have a kidney jarring, tooth loosening car for that.  I went with the Status Gruppe coils, you can get them with swift springs for around $1,500, or with B&G springs for about $1,200. They are a really good compromise between performance and daily livability. They will stand up to autocross and track days, but if that's what you are buying them for, there are better options out there.

If you want to make your M3 handle and ride like nothing else (without going to Motons or JRZ), Ohlins now makes an E46 M3 kit for $3,000.  Otherwise ST, or KW V1 for something comfortable and fairly inexpensive. 

And like Earl said, Broadway Static if you're looking to drag frame.

Most people who buy Broadway Static coils have no idea what a great handling car is. With that said, I really like my FK's on my e46 for daily driving. They would be too soft for any track use though.

Truth. 

Sticky tires can compensate for less than optimal suspension at street speeds. I once thought I was cornering on offramp at insane warp speed/ 1mph faster and im dead  pulling 0.96g  but when I measured it, it was barely 0.7g

A truck can do 0.7g

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bigjae1976

I have TC Kline x2's on my E46M3 Great set of coilovers for dual duty. With 600lb fr/700lb rr springs...these are more comfortable than the Bilstein PSSs I used to have.

The key to a comfy ride is to have a matched set of springs and dampers.

might want to be more specific with your question but also it seems there are a ton of guys buying ajustable coilovers these days for no reason. there are a lot of great springs and struts out there don't rule them out, some of the best handling cars and also some of the lowest cars out there dont have ajustable suspensions just because your friends jump off a clif doesnt mean you neet to 

Guest bigjae1976

might want to be more specific with your question but also it seems there are a ton of guys buying ajustable coilovers these days for no reason. there are a lot of great springs and struts out there don't rule them out, some of the best handling cars and also some of the lowest cars out there dont have ajustable suspensions just because your friends jump off a clif doesnt mean you neet to 

True. The main reason for a height adjustable suspension is to adjust the weight distribution of the car. If you just want to slam or lower the car, a good damper/spring setup will work fine.