WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

paging cyoung im thinking we should use the super eta please explain why we should mr young

You should just sell me your super eta and forget about it ;) Honestly if you really wanna swap it out to bump it up from 121hp to 127hp go for it, the only reason I want a super eta is because A: that was in my first car so its a first love kinda deal and B: no other reason. If it really matters Motronic 1.1 is good I guess but other than that an eta is pretty much an eta still. If your gonna swap anything I'd suggest doing what I did and swap over the dual exhaust and upgraded driveshaft which would require also swapping the output flange on the transmission. 

Unless you plan on building an "i" stroker, there isn't a reason unless you just wanna pull motors for fun . Like I said I just want one for nostalgia reasons. That or if you wanna hit that sweet, sweet 5500 rpm redline :D

Well the engine will be out already while swapping the trans.  The only difference is the 6hp?  Are all of the sensors and other stuff the same?

The only difference in sensors are what Motronic 1.1 vs 1.0 requires. I don't remember exactly what is added if anything but the crank position sensor is moved to the front of the block vs inside the transmission. This website outlines a good history of the differences for ETA's if you are curious. 

http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/differences2.html

The only difference in sensors are what Motronic 1.1 vs 1.0 requires. I don't remember exactly what is added if anything but the crank position sensor is moved to the front of the block vs inside the transmission. This website outlines a good history of the differences for ETA's if you are curious. 

http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/differences2.html

Good info, so it's a different computer and harness then.  So what parts combo is an "i stroker"

The seta already has an 885 head.  Is the cam different?

Yes SETA's have the 885 head but it has the eta cam and single valve springs. Read this page if you wanna know all about 2.7i or "e to i" builds

http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/328i_1.html

The other problem I ran into last night while talking to Mike was that his transmission bell housing has to have the provisions for the speed and reference sensors for motronic 1 which use the flywheel. The bell housing needs those two holes on the drivers side as circled below. I don't think it will have those holes though because the SETA has motronic 1.1 which moved those sensors to the crank pully.

post-2724-0-08637100-1395263542_thumb.jp

So the options for your manual swap are:

• Swap G260 onto the ETA along with the motronic 1.1 harness and required sensors (which would included fixing your harness)
  • Swap Complete SETA drive line into the car (again requiring fixing the harness)
  • Find a compatible G260 from 1987 or earlier 528e/325e

They had to make it different for one year...  This probably also means that the flywheel from the seta doesn't have the toothed ring either.  Ideally it would be nice to leave the eta in and build a 2.8i from the seta to swap in in the future.

Also before you take the parts car down from the stands, get the shifter linkage out, the carrier and shift lever/rubber boot and the wire that goes through it can just come out as one piece.  The clutch master needs to come out too.  Just mentioning what I forgot while we were working on it.