WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW M10 with Apfelbeck head, aka, the wizard head.

Andrew

Ok, it's not actually referred to as the wizard head, but it did blow my mind the first time I stared at a picture of one of these motors.  Behold...

1966BMWFormula2ApfelbeckM10EngineviaClas

No, its not a V8.  Yes, it is a 4 cylinder with a 16V head that has 8 velocity stacks, and 8 header pipes.  Its called the Apfelbeck head.  The exhaust and intake valves are across from one another as opposed to being next to each other (read the below articles, because explaining it with words doesn't help much).  This helps swirl the intake charge for better combustion.  BMW motors like this one were used in the 70's in forumula 2 and hillclimbs.  BMW motors paired with March chassis did very well in the 70's, winning 4 championships.  I am uncertain if the Apfelbeck head was a championship winning design, but it was present during this period of BMW greatness.  

Check out this site for some info. http://touringmm.blogspot.com/2011/07/apfelbeck-zylinderkopf.html.  But this next site helped me visualize the design better, even though it's not an Apfelbeck, the principal is similar http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/the-triflux/.

the cylinder head casting mold would probably cost in the $10,000 range.

after the mold is ready, a cast unit would likely cost about $500

Machining would be another $500.

Then you still havent even gotten into the development of the cam and rocker assemblies. 

So what I am trying to tell you is, I should have one up and running in my car by morning.