WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

KW "variant 1" coilovers anyone?

Narcosis

I've installed KW V1's on Jamil's (Jafza) E92 335I X-Drive, and from riding around in it, it is way better then factory. Doesn't feel like such a harsh ride, but not soft. It's definitely worth it. And it'll get you pretty low with out dumping you on the ground.

If you're looking to buy them, order from THMotorsports:
http://thmotorsports.com/kw_suspension/kw_variant_1_coilovers/10220039/i-220630.aspx

They're on sale for $1,452 right now after the 12% discount, plus they're running a $100 rebate, making them $1,352.  Plus if you call 1-800-959-0145 ext 102 ask for Alan tell them that you're a forum member, they'll give you a discount on top of that.  I just ordered my Stance coils from them, awesome people with quick shipping.

KW_zpsf587d973.png

Whats the use of the vehicle? Any track days? autox? etc.

The KW V1 is the ideal systems for customers wishing to rely on the experience of KW engineers, yet determine their own degree of lowering. In extensive driving tests our engineers have set the dampers for the best balance between sporty driving, comfort and safety. You will have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with pre-set damping from the engineers at KW!

The KW V2 system is intended for the experienced driver who requires to not only determine the individual lowering of their vehicle, but adjust the damper setting to fine tune the system to their needs. The adjustable rebound damper allows adjustment of the pitch and roll behavior of the vehicle, adapting it to one‘s own driving preferences. You will have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with the ability to also adjust the rebound damping. Rebound adjustment, with the exception of specified vehicles, can be performed with the kit installed via an adjustment spindle on the end of the piston rod. The rebound damping primarily, controls pitch and roll of the vehicle, especially in the low speed damping range which directly influences handling and comfort. Therefore vehicle can be adjusted to the needs of the driver, making the ride variable from comfortable to sporty and stiff, both with improved road handling.

Id go with at least kw2 se-up. I have GC coilovers with their camber plates on my e34 and couldnt be happier.

tsweers touched on this, but if you decide to get the KW's or any coilovers, you need to consider a few things.  First, you MUST get the car re-aligned by a quality performance saavy alignment shop.  If you just take the car to the general lube/alignment place you really have no choice on what they do.  You need to research what the settings are, find a place to do the work, then figure that in the price.

I would bet money that to get the car into proper alignment, even with a reasonable amount of lowering, you will need camber plates, at least the front ones to get the car into spec.  Factor the cost in for that too.

BMW's handle great from the factory, but a lot of the settings, especially ride height are set for the typical moron driver, not to take advantage to the beatifully engineered suspension geometry and chassis characteristics.