WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What to do to this E39

jockhater2

My moms 528i 1997 has a bad headgasket. It's also close to the miles for timing guides. It also has a bent aluminum part in the subframe that casues her driver side tire to wear out within a year or its because she has a lowering spring on the driver side and a factory spring on the passenger side.

Also. She has a faulty ABS module. She has the model that is $1200 to replace. Not the module that can be fixed for $100. Why can't you put in the different ABS module?

She is thinking about selling the car for $500.

Or we are going to part it out.

Anyone interested in parts? Transmission/engine block, head is most likely warped, power steering pump, a/c pump, seats, so on and so forth?

Manual of course. auto is lame.

Color white with pin stripes going down the body

Miles I think 220,000 on the body

Engine I am unsure of. I believe the engine is 30,000. My brother in law put in a rebuilt motor when she orignially got the car

I think were going to part it out.

She desperately needs the $. She has nothing to put towards anything right now.

I got a friend who wants the set of 5 Rims and another friend who wants her 2 and 4 channel alpine amps.

If it makes a big difference to anyone. Her engine is a vanos

Were going to be parting it out. I'll have pictures once I get grab my buddies duramax and go pick up the car. It still starts, runs and drives. Just don't wanna do any damage to it.

I'll have it up in the parts section, craigslist, ebay and such soon.

Anyone want first dibbs on any parts just send me a PM.

Engine/transmission

A/C, power steering and such

interior, seats, and door panels

Everything will be for sale

Including tires and Rims. Tires were purchased in November. Car has been sitting since January or February. So miles on the tires....are probably less than 1,000-2,000 miles

Rims are 16s. I believe 235 or 225 with a wall of 60?

Didn't get to take pictures of it run and driving because the battery is still dead. Gotta charge it first.

Just went to Brew City Cruise Night car show in mequon. it was supposed to be german night. But a lot of other cars showed up too.

Once again I was the only E21. Not a very abundant car I suppose.

Guest Laishes

I disagree.

The hell it is. That thing is junk. Bet the head is cracked to. Along with all the other issues it has and mileage he would be lucky to sell it for $500.

To give you an idea how much the car is worth

Shift knob, rear seats, Steering wheel (+$$ if it's heated), Front Seats, trim peices, Cupholders (although they are absolute shit on e39s),

Heating/cooling unit, radio and vents can be sold (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-AC-CONTROL-UNIT-CLIMATE-CONTROL-SWITCH-OEM-525I-528I-530I-64116916641-/281127187563?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41747c746b&vxp=mtr)

Sound system (speakers and such) can be sold

Door panels front and rear, Glovebox, Dash,

Emergency tool kit, spare tire, and jack (worth $$)

Floor mats and seat rails.

I am POSITIVE you could atleast get $500 for the list above. Not to mention it's all OEM. Just look on ebay.

Exterior Wise we have:

Doors, Hood, Trunk, Fenders, Frame, and the Window Glass (if you really want to spend the time)

And this is all leaving out mechanical items (engine block, A/C compressor, Power steering etc.)

Please do some research before you comment that it is "junk" and worthless.

You could probably pick it up for $500 and triple your money; BMW parts aren't exactly cheap.

Laishes pwnin newbs an takin names. But seriously, it wouldn't be hard at all to get this thing to sell in current state for $1k.

While you guys make a good point that there is plenty of room for profit, E39's are old enough now that a car like this is worth about $500 to be parted out. Cars as a whole only have value if they are running properly, aesthetics add on some value to that but not much. It's a 15 year old car, its pretty much fully depreciated.

You could probably pick it up for $500 and triple your money; BMW parts aren't exactly cheap.

I have parted out 2 e39 540's, one being a later facelift model. So i know what I am talking about somewhat. Sure you CAN make some money off of it parting it out but all the time and effort plus driving to the ups store to ship things here n there takes bunch of time. Not worth it to make $500 off of it. Also ebay pricing is asking price, not what they get then take off ebay fees and paypal fees. Sure maybe if this was a sport model with a nice interior but I bet it is beat with the mileage it has and the lack of care just by the issues he has mentioned. But go for it. buy it for $1000 and see.

While you guys make a good point that there is plenty of room for profit, E39's are old enough now that a car like this is worth about $500 to be parted out. Cars as a whole only have value if they are running properly, aesthetics add on some value to that but not much. It's a 15 year old car, its pretty much fully depreciated.

Chris is a smart man. Also Brian please don't cry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but will point out when someone says something that isnt true.

Guest Laishes

I don't really understand the "lack of care" as mentioned above. It's his moms car. Sure it's a manual; but do you really think she'd be doing burnouts in PDQ parking lots during her spare time? Also; I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't need (or appreciate for that matter) you trying to devalue and call his car "junk" in his own thread. Not trying to argue or get anyone mad, Just my thoughts.