WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Convert obd2 to obd1-need help

Guest m3clubbmw

Guest m3clubbmw

Okay so i might be buying a 95 m3 with 100k miles, and a dinan super charger, i have the 99 m3 3.2,L, i was wondering if is possible to make a complete convertion  from obd1 to obd2 and at the same time put my 0bd2 3.2L on the 95 m3, like just swap each other out,and how much whill this cost me? and what exactly will have to get swap for this process

Why would you go obd1 to obd2? I would do it the other way around. Obd1 has plenty of advantages.

Same question why would you do that? Obd I has great advantages to it not to mention no ews2 to yet in your way.

If you are putting a 99 motor in a 95 you don't need to make it obd II

I think they are mainly trying to say that the amount of time, money, and effort required to do the swap, even for the more powerful euro S50, isnt worth the gains you would get if you are purely just looking to go fast. That is up to you to decide if its worth it or not. 

Exactly what he said. The cost of you having someone switch the motors, with the hassle of converting them from OBD 1 to OBD 2 (vice versa), would be a huge waste of time and money. The 95 has better handling characteristics due to a different steering rack and some different suspension components (bushings, front strut mounts, ect.). I also believe that an OBD2 M3 isn't that much faster , if any, than an OBD1 M3. To me the handling characteristics of the 95 definitely make it a more solid car though.

the s50b30 (the 95) and s52b32 (the 99) make the same HP (maybe a tiny big more TQ in the s52, but its negligible)

the s50 is 3.0l and based on the m50 motor

the s52 is 3.2l and based on the m52

both make the same power (240hp)*

*Side note: BMW is ghey for giving the U.S. such a puss motor both times.

call Dinan and see if the supercharger stuff can be used on the s52, and then swap it over. i'd imagine physically it would be fine, but you may need a new chip.

or, swap your suspension goodies.  both are easier than switching motors and converting OBDI/II