WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What is your automotive skill level?

alexw

What is everyone's skill level and/or level of experience when it comes to BMW's or cars in general? Would you be willing to help out a local member if you had the time? Would you do work for money?

I personally do not have a very high mechanical skill level. I do buy beer for those who will work on my car ;) That said I am always looking for someone with a fair amount of experience (specifically with the S14/E30 M3's) to help with projects.

I have a good amount of experience with e30s w/ m20s in general. I've worked on a lot of foreign and domestic cars, from replacing struts to more than a handful of engine swaps. Really depends on what it is of course. As far as other bmws, Ive done some body work on e46/e36s. Man are those front clips easy!! I am definitely willing to help another BMW owner out. I have done work for money for other owners.

As far as my skills go. Im learning more and more about body work everyday. I really enjoy painting! As far as mechanics, I have about 3 years of experience in a shop, and am currently enrolled at WCTC's auto collision program (good stuff). Also, with the right MIG setup, I can lay a nice bead on some thin gauge steel. I have experience with aluminum, but man that stuff burns quick!

As far as my skills go. Im learning more and more about body work everyday.

i might have to hit you up for some work!

as far as me, i have no official training, but ive been wrenching on my e30s for 7 or so years now, so I am competent doing any suspension work, brakes, interior, wiring, m20 maintenance, etc. short of major drivetrain work, ive done most everything. i can do small painting projects pretty well like shadowline, trim respray and wheel refinishing.

i am a pro and rebuilding/smoking/modifying ellipsoid headlights!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Siouxperman

New to the bimmer world and still learning my car, e39. Only way to do that is getting the hands dirty and some headaches. Always willing to help when I have the time. Payment is up to the employer, a good microbrew does just fine. If your in the area and need some help leave me a pm and im sure we can work something out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stealthbimmer

I am willing to help anyone out for the most part.

Need me to come to your place and help, no problem.

Want to make the drive to Waukesha, WI to my shop and use my lift, no problem.

Want to pick my brain about mods, swaps, etc, no problem.

You can usually just pay me in beer and a meal (cash also works), I come cheap.

I have done multiple engine swaps in e36s, that is stock engine for stock engine. I can do suspension, brakes, mods, etc.

My e34 has a s52 swapped into it, as well as an auto->manual swap... all done by myself, in my shop w/o a lift (it was broken at the time). So, I like to think that my skill level is pretty high for the DIYer.

My techincal ability is very strong in e36s and e34s as that is mainly what I have owned over the years...but for the most part I can work on anything. I have also owned and e30 and an e32, but never really did any modifications,etc.

Either way, if anyone ever needs any help, I am willing...I will not babysit your child though. Best way to get ahold of me is by e-mail as it gets sent to my phone stealthbimmer@yahoo.com

*ALSO, I have parts cars:

90 525i

86 325e

91 525i

93 525it

99 m3(not much left, basically a carcase)

If anyone needs any parts, let me know

• 2 months later...

Im good in pretty much anything I get my hands on. Iv engine swapped an old school Impala, rebuilt the front end of an E36, tons of suspension work on an E30iX, and worked on countless things at my job. Im a mechanic and some of the memorable things would have been the heater core in the 04 Sequioa, the clutch in an STi, water pump on a new Impala (which doesnt sound bad until you go try it), and enough working on a van for a lifetime. I like to think I'm awesome, but in reality I'm just kinda meh compared to some of the other people I know. Lolz

Been wrenching for quite some time. Clutches, head valve lashes, exhaust work, suspension, brakes... pretty much everything except internal piston work.

I love electronics, I had a business at one point that retrofitted HID projection headlight systems and custom made LED tail lights from scratch and hand soldered...

I do have a few specialty tools, but not much. 4 jack stands, a 3 1/4 ton jack and other things to borrow out if needed.

I can always give a hand for someone who needs it

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Celina325is

Biggest things I have done, removed headliner to clean out caliroof channels. Easiest thing I have done, change out bulbs. Thing I do the best, install car audio. Current setup is an older Alpine HU, Apline Type R 12, Ground shaker 12" ported box, and a beautiful JL 1000 Watt mono bloc amp.

My list of tools...

Multihead screw driver

Wire cutters

Pliers

a few small size wrenches and

several rolls of electrical tape.

Figure I should post here. I love electrical, I had headlight issues with my car and dug apart the whole headlight wiring to find the problem and I enjoyed it. I also do stereo's, none of those lame harness plugs, I like to just wire them right in. I also can do some body work, weld, paint, and I am learning more about e30's every day I work on them.