WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Long time Bimmer , First time follower…

Welcome! I’m actually in the middle of a 5-speed swap on my m20 powered e30, so a pretty similar swap!

I’d recommend getting the swap parts from one single car so you can be sure that stuff will fit; I had a driveshaft issue with mine because I bought a new replacement without realizing it didn’t fit my transmission output flange. Otherwise, just do the “while you’re in there” stuff and let us know if you have issues! Glad to have another m20 on the forum!

Welcome! Glad to see another E28 on here. I don’t remember all the details but I can point you towards things to research. Also there is a good swap guide somewhere on MyE28.com, might be in the Rod’s E28 website archive as well.

Theres 3 important things you’ll need to match up: the transmission, the output flange and the driveshaft length. As @P_Roloff stated it’s ideal to get the complete swap from the same car. I think there were 3 or 4 Getrag manuals hence the changes.

There’s 2 shift selector styles as well. I upgraded from the old plate style when I converted my 528e. I don’t know the details on what’s cross compatible with the M30 transmissions though. Remember M20 and M30 have different bell housings so you have to source from a 533i or 535i. Not sure if still available but I did buy a shifter mount from the dealer years back. It’s the only welding required as for whatever reason auto E28’s didn’t get them from the factory like E30’s did regardless of transmission.

Pedals are easy, you can just buy the clutch portion and add it on to your pedal box but might be easier to just buy the whole replacement. Although I haven’t done it welding in reinforcement plates is suggested as it’s common to find cracked pedal boxes. For the clutch line I just had a braided stainless line with a 90 degree fitting at the clutch master made at Pegasus racing vs the stock 3 piece line set.

Feel free to start a build thread! Images can be hosted on site here and would love to follow along on your progress.

34 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

Welcome! Glad to see another E28 on here. I don’t remember all the details but I can point you towards things to research. Also there is a good swap guide somewhere on MyE28.com, might be in the Rod’s E28 website archive as well.

Theres 3 important things you’ll need to match up: the transmission, the output flange and the driveshaft length. As @P_Roloff stated it’s ideal to get the complete swap from the same car. I think there were 3 or 4 Getrag manuals hence the changes.

There’s 2 shift selector styles as well. I upgraded from the old plate style when I converted my 528e. I don’t know the details on what’s cross compatible with the M30 transmissions though. Remember M20 and M30 have different bell housings so you have to source from a 533i or 535i. Not sure if still available but I did buy a shifter mount from the dealer years back. It’s the only welding required as for whatever reason auto E28’s didn’t get them from the factory like E30’s did regardless of transmission.

Pedals are easy, you can just buy the clutch portion and add it on to your pedal box but might be easier to just buy the whole replacement. Although I haven’t done it welding in reinforcement plates is suggested as it’s common to find cracked pedal boxes. For the clutch line I just had a braided stainless line with a 90 degree fitting at the clutch master made at Pegasus racing vs the stock 3 piece line set.

Feel free to start a build thread! Images can be hosted on site here and would love to follow along on your progress.

Great notes - looks like this car is a 528e, so M20? He’d want a kit from a 528e. 

I’ll second the single piece clutch line, I bought one from ChaseBays but it’s effectively the same as what @YoungCR did. 

The only other upgrade I might add would be a single mass flywheel conversion, and then get it lightened by Ireland engineering - they offer a resurface and lightening for about $210, very reasonable. Not sure what your goals are but it’ll make it rev faster, easier to heel-toe, and more fun, at the expense of a bit of forgiveness in stalling. 

Definitely start a build thread!

• 1 month later...