WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Cam looks like it's not getting oiled efficently? Wut

Brian.

Question

So, Took my valve cover off over the weekend when tearing the block down to fix my fuel cut issue, and noticed my cam isn't getting oiled well enough in a few spots where the rockers contact the cam. It looks like the rockers have polished the cam. Almost a chromoly look. I took photo's so maybe someone can help me out. I checked the oil rail that sits above the rockers/cam. None of the holes are clogged, the rail isn't crushed where the fuel comes up. So I'm kind of at a loss. maybe this is normal for an M30?

LEGEND:

RED:Where the rocker arms touch the cam

BLUE The oil rail

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

7 answers to this question

Use a stethoscope (see also broom handle) along the valve cover with the engine running. if you cannot hear an audible difference between the area you are concerned with and the area you feel is well lubricated, then I would not be alarmed.

This is purely my opinion and the best suggestion that I can give since In reality you are not going to measure the surface roughness of all the valvetrain surfaces and measure the cam lobes for wear.

Use a stethoscope (see also broom handle) along the valve cover with the engine running. if you cannot hear an audible difference between the area you are concerned with and the area you feel is well lubricated, then I would not be alarmed.

This is purely my opinion and the best suggestion that I can give since In reality you are not going to measure the surface roughness of all the valvetrain surfaces and measure the cam lobes for wear.

Good idea with the stethescope/ broom handle trick. I'll have to give it ago! I don't think it ever sounds different. I'm just concerned especially with winter coming up. I hate working on cars out in the cold. Because 9 times out of 10, my car will never be close to my shop if it were to break down.

No gauges/scoring. That was the first thing I was checking for. I've just never seen such a variance in a single cam. I've seen solid chromoly cam lobes. and I've seen the later. But not all while on one cam shaft. So I wasn't entirely sure if one area was getting oil better then the other.