WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What should i do this winter? Want input please.

keeperofchaos

Question

13 answers to this question

S54, Supercharger, Turbo.

That's the order in which I'd do it if it was my car. I love the S54 motor, NA trumps FI in my books. Less to go wrong, more "natural" in these cars.

Superchargers next because I love the supercharger whine, more linear power, often times less harmful to the engine and no additional tuning required because most kits come with an ECU flash or chip.

Turbos are best bang for buck power, but can also be tricky to set up, tuning must be done by a professional if you want it to last, and more needs to be done to the motor to prep it for boost.

S38 Wouldn't be worth it.. Like it's a good motor, but it's older then an E36, it'd be like stepping down for 20hp more.. Go with what Earl said he's got the right track!

310hp and 335hp (B36 and B38) Is more like 145 hp more than he has now, plus more torque than the S54. But on the down side, the S54 is a much more reliable motor, plus if you have a God like budget you can get 410hp out of the S54 with bolt on's.

I know itd be more then what I listed. Was just I'dgeneralizing. The s38 is solid as far as I'm concerned. Very reliable. But go with anewer motor. s54 ftw

Ok I can agree with that! The S54 is just a fantastic motor! Everyday I wonder what it would be like to put my S54 in my ~2875lb E36 M3, I know it would be stupid fun in an E30, especially with some mild weight reduction! :cool:

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to be going with turbo when I get some extra change lol. Hope to get it done next year before the fall meet. Going to do m3 rear end thicker head gasket to lower compression.

http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p43003/Turbo-Specialties-GT28R-Extreme-Turbo-Kit-BMW-E36-92-98-/product_info.html

That's the kit I want. If anyone knows a good place for tune input would be great