WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

VW/Motorcycle help?

Ryan...

Hey folks, I found myself a neat project that I'd love to start working on..

My question is: CAN YOU FIGURE OUT WHAT MOTOR THIS IS, BASED ON THE INFO BELOW AND THE PICS PROVIDED?

CLIFFS:

Trike was built in the late 70's or early 80's by my father.

Hasn't been running in almost 12 years.

I want to figure out what kind of motor it is.

I would like to start restoring it/get it running for my brother's Christmas gift.

Long version:

This trike was built by my father some time in the late 70s or early 80's. Basically all I know about it is that its got a VW motor, and the rest was custom built/fitted together to make what you see in the pics. This was sitting in our barn for about 10 years until my dad got it running one day. It ran for about a year then was parked again. It's been sitting in our shed since well before he passed away in 2005, and my younger brother inherited it. So all in all, this bad boy needs a TON of work.. The motor hasn't run in approximately 12 years from what I've been told.

Its now just collecting more dust, and I'm gonna be moving it to my older brother's garage so I can hopefully get it running again. My goal is to have it presentable by Christmas, as I'd like to surprise my younger brother and maybe even have it running by then.. He loves motorcycles and I know he wants to eventually start tinkering on this trike, but he's away at college and doesn't know much if anything about the mechanical workings of these things..

I am now trying to figure out what kind of motor it is exactly, so I can start gathering parts or looking for a running replacement motor to swap in.

My mom is sending the seats in to get the professionally recovered in black leather, and my plans are to basically just clean everything up, without messing up the original paint if possible. I dont know if my brother wants to keep the silly stock naked woman on the tank, but he may for sentimental reasons.

Now for you local folks that are bored.. If you're interested in driving out to Chilton some day, I'm thinking of buying some drinks/grilling out and starting to maybe pull it apart and start the rebuilding process.. If any of you are familiar with VW motors, your input would be mighty swell :)

Now, onto the pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

NWS lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image