WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Life Decisions!

Ryan...

Sup homeboys/homegal!

I now have a decision to make, and I need to make it relatively soon, so I'd like some advice...

I know of a bunch of job openings at some nearby prisons/correctional institutions (Portage and Plymouth WI). These places are hiring quite a few people right now, and according to a couple of my friends recently hired there, they're looking for people with ANY experience in the field, meaning a Criminal Justice degree or some work experience in the field. I have both a degree, and work experience as an armed security guard and a bouncer if you're really stretching it. Pay starts at $15-16, awesome benefits, 2 weeks paid vacation after 6 months, and all the overtime you could dream of. There is a lot of turnover, as many people seem to be using these jobs as a stepping stone into becoming a LEO; something I don't feel any passion to be anymore. Sounds pretty nice, but here's the other option...

I also want to join either the Army Reserves, or possibly the National Guard. Reasons for that are simple; it probably looks good on a resume, and I could then go back to school for free and pursue a real aka 4 year degree. I think that would open up more opportunities in the future, but I dont even know what I'd like to go back to school for yet.. I've wanted to be in the military since I was 15/16, but various reasons (girlfriends) I never signed away my life. Since then it's been one random crappy job after another.

I dont want to get a job at a prison then quit a month later when I leave for basic, so its a one-or-the-other kind of situation.

Regardless of which I choose, I want to know what I'm doing in the next month or so. I'm going to be 24 in December, so its time to ditch this security job and find something that I'll A) hopefully enjoy, and B) can survive off and build a life with.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edited by Ryan...

just throwing out some thoughts:

the military is obviously nothing to be taken lightly, and getting a free education is nice, but is that worth the time/risk/complete life change for a 4 year degree? you could easily come back an entirely different person. most would agree that 20k in student debts is the better choice. however, serving our country is the most honorable thing a guy could do. if you have a good relationship worth keeping, and the other party feels the same way, they should understand the time needed to do this.

as well, if you dont like your current career path, you will probably come back from service still not knowing and then using more time for your education. if you are worried about your age and how long it will take to get onto your career life and family, joining the military at this point would probably set you back even further.

I'm not taking it lightly, I've thought about it quite a bit, and I'm not opposed to serving overseas if it came down to it. I believe having a brother currently enlisted gives me a pretty good insight into it as well.

My thoughts were that the reserves would allow me to have a normal job and do the whole army training thing on that weekend per month. Signing up for 4 years wouldn't really be a death sentence if that's the case, it would allow me to progress in a job/school environment and I wouldn't be 4 years "behind" as if I were enlisted in say the Marines or Navy for 4 years and not working a legit 9-5 job.

I'll have some insight for ya sometime soon.

I have been MIA (no pun intended) for a while because I just purchased a house. Something that I was able to do at age 25 because I served.

I don't mean that, a 25 year old who didn't serve wouldn't be in the same boat. But due to my service I landed a well paying job within months of separation and was able to take advantage of a "VA loan".

I'll come back and give some advice shortly. I know you're not alone here in thinking about the military vs public service vs college, etc...

but in all honesty, if i was in your situation, i would take that prison job just to see how you'd like it. i mean you even said theres a lot of turnover so its not like you'd be shunned if you left shortly after you started. personally i'd go with that and see how it works for you for some months and if its worth it or not and base a decision off of that. if its not all you wanted it to be, and you really want to enlist, do it then. i feel like that would be the best way to go about it. its easy to get out of a prison job to join the military. but thats just me

and if you dont like the prison job and you join the military thats just more to put on a future resume. if they'd ask why you were only there for a short time you'd all be like "cause i joined the military" and they'd all be like "oooooooo. hes a go getter i like him AND he served in the military"

BAM. hired.

Edited by mystere30

but in all honesty, if i was in your situation, i would take that prison job just to see how you'd like it. i mean you even said theres a lot of turnover so its not like you'd be shunned if you left shortly after you started. personally i'd go with that and see how it works for you for some months and if its worth it or not and base a decision off of that. if its not all you wanted it to be, and you really want to enlist, do it then. i feel like that would be the best way to go about it. its easy to get out of a prison job to join the military. but thats just me

and if you dont like the prison job and you join the military thats just more to put on a future resume. if they'd ask why you were only there for a short time you'd all be like "cause i joined the military" and they'd all be like "oooooooo. hes a go getter i like him AND he served in the military"

BAM. hired.

I'm starting to lean towards the prison job right now.

Thing is, I feel like I'll regret not going back to school to get a legit degree, and I'd like to get one before I turn into that semi-creepy 30 year old guy in the back of class...

Don't do guard you Moron. If your gunna go military go active. Drills blow, an at is stupid as fuck. Go to the prison.

I dont wanna go active at this point, at least not yet, who knows if I'd really like it after getting a taste in the guard. The real reasons I'd be doing it is free tuition ($10k at least), $12k a year to live off while attending school, a paycheck every month for attending drill, and a resume booster.

Did you post this on another forum? It looks ike the exact thread I've seen somewhere else. Not implying anything, just making sure I'm not going nuts.

I believe I asked the guys in the e36 OT section of Bimmerfest a while back, dont think I started another thread anywhere :/