WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Axle puller....uh, pusher?

REKIII

Question

Does anyone have the tool for pushing the rear axle out and then pulling the new one back in? Specifically on an e39? I need to buy new axles one of these days and remember I barely got them to work with the new bearings. Tore a boot and now one axle is junk.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Not certain that would work. The rear axle doesn't have a flange on it (well, it does on the diff side) it is just a spline on the hub side. Now that I think about it, I had to remove the whole rear hub assembly and take it to a shop to have it pressed out, my 12 ton press wasn't strong enough.

The 12 ton press wouldn't push the axle out. The shops 30 ton did the trick. I got the axle back in with a lot of pushing. the axle must be pushed in by hand, or pulled in with a special tool. A press wont push the axle in. Wrong geometry

I'm so fucking confused. I have never had to press in axle halves. Or half shafts.

An axel has 2 ends, one with a flange that bolts to my diff, the other that has a spline that slides into the hub/bearing. The spline end is the end that is a bitch. I guess, I haven't worked on a lot of non-e39 BMW's but I thought this was common. Do you guys have solid axles? This is IRS.

Usually when it comes to the re-install, I just clean up the splines, grease everything well, and push it in. Think of a joke now. As for the removal, I have always used the crude hammer method as well. Its the easiest way without taking my suspension apart. If you have thread in wheel studs, you can use one of the impact driven pushers. Dont buy a cheap one. I have a cheap one with a bent screw.

With high torque loads and your typical corrosion, the splines will bind a bit. Its common. Its a slight enough amount that it doesnt do any damage to the half shafts. It can make extra work for any pusher/press. Half shafts typically never come out by hand unless you just installed them moments ago.