WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

August 20th Badger Bimmers @ BFR

B C

Snap, I'm in. Just registered. There is also a m50 swapped e30 on the registration list (the other Brian). Last event on July 9 had only 42 drivers which meant smaller run groups with plenty of open track. NUmbers should be up a bit for the August event. There were other nonswapped e30s at the July event, a few m3s and at least two other 325i/is.

I heard from the the driving school coordinator that repairs on T1 and T7 are being done. These turns had been repaved earlier and were pristine with plenty of grip when I went in late May but the combination of heat, races and track schools had torn them up by July. The race line was coned off on T7 for our morning sessions on July 9 and by the afternoon they had coned off the race line on T1. The T1 pavement was ridged as if tractor tires had gone over it. You'd go from smooth to dancing over the ridges to a little smooth and then into the outside rumble strips if you had too much speed into the turn. No offs during the morning but the organizers decided better safe than sorry. Although it was a good opportunity to practice more of a rain line through T1 and T7, I'd rather have the smooth track.

• 1 month later...

I missed this thread somehow before the event ... What a blast and I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the e28 !!!

My instructor was impressed with your driving. I was behind you for a bit on the 3rd session and he said "Very good driver, he handles that heavy car well" He drives a 2002 so even my car is heavy to him ;)

What tires were you running? I love your car btw if you couldnt tell from the heart under the pic of it :cool:

Edited by Snap Understeer

I was running Falken Ziex 912's I am very happy with their performance for an all-season tire. I definitely need to step up to at least a max performance summer tire like your Hankooks or even a regular R-compound on some spare wheels like a lot of people are doing.

Snap, nice write up and pics. You did a great job, particularly for your first time out on the track! I watched you and Merl for a bit in the 3-5 section during the afternoon runs. Nice lines and carrying speed through the turns.

Some throttle cable and brake issues in the first session for me but finally got it sorted out by the second run. Third session was a blast. All in all great weather, 30 minute run sessions, and folks to play with on the track. Couldn't ask for much more.

Guest hencini

Hey, Brian... Great chatting with you yesterday and great driving... You were looking very strong out there...

So guys, that was me in #350 and as best as I can piece together from what I remember and what my instructor told me, here's what happened:

I was coming out of T5 and had been on the bronze 318 for the whole lap. Driving really well all day, and feeling very confident (insert ominous music here).

He gave me the point coming out of T5 and I started to go around him. And here's where the problems began: he not only lifted to let me by, but also tapped the brakes. So all of a sudden I'm coming up on him *way* faster than I anticipated, but I'm also still accelerating out of the turn. So to avoid plowing into his back left corner, I let off the gas and tap my brakes, shifting the weight off the rear wheels. I remember feeling the back end get very light, a quick attempt at correction, and, well, you can see what happens next. :)

In retrospect, as a novice driver (this was my 2nd DE) I probably shouldn't have been trying to pass coming out of a turn, but in my defense, it was a designated passing zone that I had passed in before that day AND I wasn't expecting him to tap the brakes. :)

All in all, it was a great day, met some great folks, and got some great driving in for my first 2.5 sessions. Looking forward to doing it again soon...

Hey, Brian... Great chatting with you yesterday and great driving... You were looking very strong out there...

So guys, that was me in #350 and as best as I can piece together from what I remember and what my instructor told me, here's what happened:

I was coming out of T5 and had been on the bronze 318 for the whole lap. Driving really well all day, and feeling very confident (insert ominous music here).

He gave me the point coming out of T5 and I started to go around him. And here's where the problems began: he not only lifted to let me by, but also tapped the brakes. So all of a sudden I'm coming up on him *way* faster than I anticipated, but I'm also still accelerating out of the turn. So to avoid plowing into his back left corner, I let off the gas and tap my brakes, shifting the weight off the rear wheels. I remember feeling the back end get very light, a quick attempt at correction, and, well, you can see what happens next. :)

In retrospect, as a novice driver (this was my 2nd DE) I probably shouldn't have been trying to pass coming out of a turn, but in my defense, it was a designated passing zone that I had passed in before that day AND I wasn't expecting him to tap the brakes. :)

All in all, it was a great day, met some great folks, and got some great driving in for my first 2.5 sessions. Looking forward to doing it again soon...

Nice to meet you/drive with you as well!

I had forgotten that was a passing zone up until I saw him give you a point. I dont quite have the firepower to use that passing zone, its a short one. The off could have been much worse than it was, I mean, I could have had flashbacks of playing Gran Turismo and carved left to intentionally T-bone you:cool: