WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Clutch master cylinder 'skipping'

straight6pwr

Question

Hey guys, have a strange problem. Obviously the solution is 'replace your clutch master cylinder' but i'm wondering if anyone has the technical knowledge to know whats going on and how long I have to catastrophic failure.

Anyways, the other day i get into the car and drive and the clutch pedal does a 'skip'. basically , the pedal is firm at the top, than as soon as you press a little it jumps the first 1/4 of pedal travel with no resistance, than you hit the pressure of the cylinder and all is normal, car shifts fine.  So of course I assumed it was the clutch return spring -- that the rod had broken and it was jumping around. I tried to look inside the spring to check, but its impossible to see in the car.  So I order a new one and dove in today for the job.  Well, i've got the spring out and its not broken...(freakin $80 new part not needed!) and the 'skip' seems to be internally in the clutch master cylinder.  I pulled the dust boot back and the rear snap ring and seal are in place so beyond that no idea.

So what the hell is going on in there and how long till it blows a seal and I'm stranded? I'm doing a 1000 mile road trip on the 23rd so I have to get things buttoned up before then.

5 answers to this question

thanks, but these are in the category of 'get a new one, don't want to do this job ever again'.  however, can I borrow them to get the fitting sizes to get a SS clutch line made?

i did some research on how a cylinder like this is put together inside, and my only guess is somehow the pushrod has come unseated from the piston and is clicking into place every time I push the pedal. don't know if it will fail soon because of this, but it needs to be replaced.  i got a high quote to get it replaced at Kummrow ($530!!) -  they have done really good work for me, but 'mind blown' on that price. anyways, I am going to roll the dice and order a replacement and bring it with my on my road trip since I don't have time to do it before then, then just tackle it later.

they do, but they only replace the stock soft line. the clearance to get the to the hardline at the back of the master is even worse than e30s/e28s on the e34 v8 cars. i could barely get to it and that's with the transmission out of the car. when I replace the master this time, I'm yanking those sumbitches and going with the SS line from the master to the hardlines at the slave. i was going to do the line when I did the 5 speed swap, but the stock lines were in good enough shape I didnt bother.

2 weeks is probably too long, but no worries, I should be able to gather the sizes from internet research