WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Re-dying seats?

Andrew

Question

6 answers to this question

Like anything, its all in the prep work. Get the correct prepping agent for your seats (vinyl or leather) and follow recommended steps, so that way the new dye will bite into the material and not just sit on top. This will also help prevent bleeding out onto your clothes. I am planning on redyeing some e30 sport seats for my e21 project.

Its one thing to re-dye the seats the same color. But when doing a entire different color it tends not to work well. You wont get everything covered and there will be different shades throughout the seat. I went from grey to beige (out of a 430 italia) and got not so good results. This is with doing correct prep work. in the end I just got my seats recovered in the correct color leather. $1350 is what I got charged for labor and material. Using a nappa leather. Seemed pretty cheap for what the end product was. Going back to get my lower dash and center console covered in the same thing soon.

Thanks all for the replies. I think i'll try re-dying, but I am afraid of the dye rubbing off on everything...

Its one thing to re-dye the seats the same color. But when doing a entire different color it tends not to work well. You wont get everything covered and there will be different shades throughout the seat. I went from grey to beige (out of a 430 italia) and got not so good results. This is with doing correct prep work. in the end I just got my seats recovered in the correct color leather. $1350 is what I got charged for labor and material. Using a nappa leather. Seemed pretty cheap for what the end product was. Going back to get my lower dash and center console covered in the same thing soon.

Who recovered the seats for you?  I'm looking for a well regarded local auto upholsterer as another option.