WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Getting out..

Ryan...

Well, the e30 is up for sale, got a couple interested people so far (1 seems pretty promising).

** In all likelihood, another e30 would be purchased next spring as a little track rat/beat up car, and to keep miles off the subie. I know I'll miss the e30s, but I just cant rely on them to get me through the winter months :(

So now I'm looking for something reliable, over 25mpg, fun to drive, manual, and something that can get me through the winter with relative ease. I drive well over 300 miles per week, sometimes up to 500 if I visit the old lady :o

So far I've basically settled on the following:

02+ subaru WRX --- Definitely in the lead

Audi a4 1.8t --- Second place on my list of choices, kinda heavy, reliability issues.

????????????????? --- Close 3rd. Wild cards are always exciting..

Of those, the WRX is sounding the most promising; decent power, their AWD systems are incredible, and damn I really want a turbo to play with! Compared to the Audi, they seem more reliable, and quality mods are pretty damn cheap. I'm looking to spend under $6500 so I'd be getting one with at least 110k miles on it..

This thread is mostly just me thinking out loud (plus we need some damn threads going!!!).

My short list of mods for a WRX would be as follows:

Grimmspeed uppipe - $160

3" catback - $300

Lightweight Perrin pulleys - $130

Godspeed coilovers - $550

Custom tune via cheap0 access port connector - $200

All in all, that would give a quicker throttle response, nice boxer-4 growl, quicker spooling, nice stance, and approx 30hp + 45ft lbs of torque.

Posted Image

What say thee WIbimmers??

Edited by Ryan...

I have absolutely 0 intentions of leaving the BMW world, I got over 15k posts between all my BMW forums :D

Subies seem to be the only other brand that 99% of BMW owners approve of lol

As for the wing, the spoiler risers actually make the stock wing look "ok".. Its growing on me.

Posted Image

Edited by Ryan...

I've momentarily lost interest in the e30. This always happens; i've cycled through 9 different BMWs in the past 4 years, and I'm ready to try something else on for once.

Not to mention, I"m moving to Madison in a month or so, and I cant afford 3 parking spots (Subie, BMW, Victory)..

I guarantee I'll be picking up another $600 e30 next year to beat around in, I'm not ready to completely leave BMW lol

Alex, you ever own an e36 before? Honestly, that's the one chassis I'll NEVER own again. Everything, everything, everything rattles. The interior rattles itself apart, the glue becomes un-sticky, door panels disintegrate, and did I mention everything rattles? I've owned 3 (328is, 2 m3's), and I've disliked them all.

Go with a boosted 24v e30.

Ryan, check over in the NASIOC forums, especially the midwest regional subforum. More likely to find a wrx in the area that was owned by an enthusiast and taken care of instead of one that has been beat to death. Also a good way to get a sense of the issues to watch out for.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/

$6k is probably low though, 2002s are still pulling in $8-9k if in good shape:

Here's a few:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205431

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229311

Edited by Boris3

Thanks Boris, I just joined up there about 3 hours ago :)

I've really gotta stick to around $6500 for the car though. I know it will have higher mileage, but as soon as I get it I'm going to be doing a timing belt/water pump deal, replacing most of the cheap-ish wear n tear parts, and getting a PPI done to ensure that it will be somewhat reliable for the foreseeable future.

Another reason for the $6500 cap is the fact that I will be financing it, and I want there to be wiggle room in my budget for any unexpected occurrences. I'm moving soon, and although I could "afford" to make payments on a $9000 car, it just wouldn't be a good idea really..

I just drove my Audi A4 [2.8 nt..] from Milwaukee to Justin's house [98.2mi] on about $7 or $8...sooo you should probably go towards an Audi :) I'm sure you'd get better mileage with the 1.8

ooooooooooooo Piku and Justin sitting in a tree..... :D

I dont doubt the Audi is a nice car, I liked my ex's A6 a lot. But the subaru is not only lighter, a little sportier, makes more power, and mods are cheaper being its a Jap car.. However, I know I can get an A4 for much cheaper with similar miles :/