WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Stereo head unit issue

Boris3

Question

Somewhere in the history of the e30 a PO installed an aftermarket stereo with removable face plate. Some quirky wiring issues such as hit the defrost switch when the unit is on and it blows a fuse and the unit and OEM power antenna aren't talking to each other. I can live with these.

The more pressing issue is that on hard braking and acceleration the head unit slips out of the dash on the driver's side by about 1/2 -3/4 inch. I push it back in and all is good but it would be better if it didn't move.

Any recommendations for a Milwaukee area install shop that could address this issue for cheap or any DIY suggestions short of shimming it into the dash would be appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Thanks for the replies.

I've got a track day coming up on Monday and the car is running fine so I won't play with any wiring this weekend. Just my luck and things would go south.

It looks like there is a sleeve but maybe whatever tabs needed to be bent to hold things in place aren't.

Also found two sets of antenna cables and power wires running into the trunk. Neither one works to raise the antenna when all hooked up but could be the power antenna or the hook up to the head unit. I do get radio reception in the city without the antenna up but lose it a few miles out. Ipod hookup works so not that big a deal.