WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Distributor rotor screws

6670charger

Question

Anyone have some good advice for removing the three torx screws that hold the distributor rotor in? Trying to replace my timing belt and can't get the rotor out of the distributor. Seems like they're torqued in at 500 ft/lbs. Already broke off one torx screwdriver in one of the screws, and felt like I was about to round out another one before I gave up and put everything back together.

8 answers to this question

Anyone have some good advice for removing the three torx screws that hold the distributor rotor in? Trying to replace my timing belt and can't get the rotor out of the distributor. Seems like they're torqued in at 500 ft/lbs. Already broke off one torx screwdriver in one of the screws, and felt like I was about to round out another one before I gave up and put everything back together.

You need better torx bits. Craftsman works and they will replace it if you do break it if you buy the Professional grade.

OK, well, it sounds like maybe between some better torx bits and possibly some WD40 or similar, I might have some success.  I guess the good thing here is that this time I can work on the distributor first without having to take anything else apart and waste two hours worth of time like I did the last time.

This should do the trick like Mike said. With my craftsman hex wrenches I was able to get mine off, it will take some force the first time to crack them loose. If anything breaks, its all cheap to replace anyways.

A coworker of mine said that if I soak them in WD40 for a bit first, and then use a short cheater bar with slow, steady pressure (along with a good quality torx bit), that they should break loose.  Think I'll try that on the two that don't have the bit broken off in them.  The other I'll probably have to drill from the way it sounds.