WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1990 325ix no start???

Jeff

Question

well here is the scoop im lost a bit or over thinking this but the ix will not start.

it has 155 compression on all 6 cylinders 

it has fuel

it has spark

what else am i missing?

it does not even attempt to fire at all even at full throttle.

crank sensor is at 520 ohm's and changes when cranking so its good.

not sure what i am missing.

10 answers to this question

You say it has fuel, have you checked fuel pressure?

My first suspects besides the crank position sensor would be the main ECU relay (aka DME relay) and the fuel pump relay. Those account for 2 of the 3 relays on the drivers side strut tower. Id listen and feel to see if they click when you switch the ignition on or jumper the pins on them to bypass them. A repair manual or the interweb should contain which pins need to be connected to bypass it. 

RelaysECU-Fuel-E30E28-6001.jpg

Also check the C191 connector for the fuel injection wiring harness on the drivers side of the engine, this one sometimes gets corroded and stops working.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1597051-C191-Multiplug-DIY-Repair

it is a round connector that is a twist-lock like the O2 sensor connector is.   You may also listen with a stick or stethoscope to  hear if the injectors are firing while it is cranking to add some confirmation to whether the C191 connector is good or bad. 

For future reference, other than what was said here, I have a couple misc things to add. I have had my share of e30 m20 no starts.

1. If no crank, there is a wire that connects to the starter sometimes refered to as the "exciter" wire. Sometimes it gets corroded or loose. It has a 90* crimped connector on it.

2. There needs to be oil in the engine and the oil level sensor on the top of the oil pan needs to be plugged in. The car wont get an injector pulse.

3. Loose cap and rotor. Be careful with those bolts for the upper timing cover, they attach to the aluminum cylinder head. If they are loose, your going to missfire.

4. The crank position sensor and reference sensor connectors on the engine harness are very close and can be swapped accidentally.

5. Some years had an injector harness connector. This can get filled with corrosion and cause no injector pulse, but rare in my opinion.

6. Major vacuum leak.