WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

100 shots of nitrous or more

Guest m3clubbmw

Question

10 answers to this question

untrue earl

i'm not going to give you a step by step because im sure that you are more than capable of doing a google serch but I will give you some tips and if you need it and i can hopefully anwser some specific questions if you have any. and its not "shots" it's shot. a 100shot is a rough calculation of the amout of HP increase the nitrous is giving you when flowing. if you want to add more than around 50% of the motors power with nitrous the best way to go is with a "progressive controler"or at minumum multipule stages it will pulse the nitrous and fuel solenoids much like a fuel injector and gently add hp untill you solinoids can't flow any greater volume because of internal oriface restrictions at that point you will want to add larger solenoids or multipule solenoids. the reason you need to meter nitrous is because of the instantanious reaction it has in a gasoline engine the impact on the pistons, rods,crank, ect. must be regulated to insure that the inital hit of the nitrous wont cause catastrophic failure of any one engine component, you must soften the inital impact or VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN. that said nitrous is one of if not the most cost efective and safe power adders when controled. the only real issue with useing nitrous on older motors is that if the compression rings arnt in good shape the nitrous will find its way into the top pistion grove and slowly from the small amouts that colect in the grove exploding with the rest of the air fuel mixture strech the ring grove and eventualy peel it off the top of the piston.

I'm confedent that any of the m5x famliy of engines are well suited to the use of nitrous in stock form. given the crank support very strong rods and relitivly tight tolerances i'm sure that given the proper controlers they can withstand in excess of 200% power increases.

the biggest tip i can give you is always run redundant fuel solenoids its really bad when one fails and your motor goes pop!

As you mention a wet shot in the first post, where did you tap for fuel?   Are you monitoring the health of the engine at all, such as fuel pressure, AFR and/or EGT?

Are you using a window switch?  Any type of controller as industrialsized referred to?  Have you tried simply swapping jets?  Have you done any research about safely using nitrous?

Guest m3clubbmw

all im using is the wideband gauge to monitor the fuel ratio, im using 93 oct fuel, i have AA long tube headers, the nitrous has a switch that i can on and off when on it activates at full throttle