WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Valve Cover Powder Coating

Dominic540

Question

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of replacing the water pump, valley cover, etc. on my M62 and decided that I would do the valve cover gaskets at the same time, since they were leaking a little bit. While I have the valve covers off of the engine I am cleaning them up and got the idea to have them powder coated.

I was just wondering if anyone in the area has done this and knows of a place to take them? Also, what were the costs of it?

Any other input is appreciated as well (pros and cons of painting vs. powder coat etc.).

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

I usually just paint my valve covers and haven't had any issues. I've been quoted for getting a valve cover before and it has been anything from $60 to over $100. A nice high heat primer and paint would work well for what you would need though:)

The covers are magnesium, so many coaters don't want to screw with them. You also need to clean ALL the flaking paint out of the grooves where the gasket sits or it will leak again. A wire wheel should do the job. I'll coat mine at home, but I am not optimistic about them turning out perfectly. They're just crappy covers altogether :)

Sorry its been so long for the reply. I took the covers in on a Friday and they were ready for me on the following Wednesday evening. Overall, I am very pleased with how they turned out. The coating looks exceptional and it was done in a very timely manner. I am a little disappointed in the lack of communication that B&K offered, however. I had emailed them as the first contact and received a response the very next day, stating that they would be willing to attempt it. I replied stating exactly what I wanted done and that they would be dropped off. I dropped them off that Friday. After hearing nothing for some time, I called on Tuesday and found out that they were already stripped and he would try to finish them by Wednesday. On Wednesday I was emailed that they were done. Despite the lack of communication without my nagging, I would not hesitate to do it again. I am very happy with the quality and the price seemed reasonable to me at $100. I would recommend to anyone considering getting their own powder coated.

A few pictures: (don't mind the dirty plastic engine covers)  EDIT: Only one picture would upload for some reason. If you want more, I can PM them.

post-3152-0-95556000-1375237686_thumb.jp