WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E28 tail light mod

Brian.

Question

So, if you've ever seen Chris or me driving at night from the back, our cars aren't easily seen. The running lights in the rear, aren't very bright, or a very big lit up area. So I took action. And did a little tail light mod that was actually pretty simple.

This is what most E28's look like from the back at night (not my photo, mye28.com):

Posted Image

And this is what mine look like:

Posted Image

These are significantly brighter, and more of a light up area.

This is what I did to help the situation. (hope you like my mad awesome paint skills.

Posted Image

Any questions, comments, concerns. Feel free to lemme know!

Later down the road, I've got some expensive LED lights I wanna throw in there, so it can aid in the brightness/being seen further away.

8 answers to this question

Needs more ebay 3rd brake light

Posted Image

Im wondering if the lights are both a tad more dim than they should be due to the circuit being run in series. In theory running parallel would provide the best output. I'm a mechanical guy though, so don't send David Gruber my way if im wrong.

Nice work! thats a nice cheap easy and effective thing to do

It actually didn't affect light output at all! Normally it would, which I was afraid of. But it actually ended up working quite well! The original running light was the same light displacement before I piggy backed the other light on the same circuit, and after. So it was a win!

Also, My car doesn't have a 3rd brake light, because Euro interior. But I'm debating on throwing it on, due to my car being lowered, and because it throws my brake light warning light on the OBC check panel.