WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Brake lining light

6670charger

Question

Have an 88 E30 convertible and have been having a minor issue with the idiot light in the dash flashing on and off intermittently for the brake lining. Initially I thought it was a dirty or poor connection behind one of the wheels. I cleaned both of the connectors and wrapped them, which seemed to solve the problem when it was warmer.

Turns out, it wasn't the connectors at all. I recently discovered that the light will go off if I simply rap lightly on the gauge cluster over the light itself when it comes on. It goes on and off due to road impacts, so my assumption now is that it's some sort of connection or ground problem in the dash cluster. I had an 89 316 sedan in Germany about a year ago that did the same thing, so I assume this must be some sort of systemic problem with late 80's E30 dash clusters.

Anyone else encounter this, and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks.

Eric

5 answers to this question

I also had this issue and repaired the sensor wires to no avail. I no longer run the pads with the wear sensors and as much as I hate to do things like this, I removed the bulb from the cluster. I have considered finding the issue on the cluster (bad ground or solder joint likely) and repairing it because I can see its utility for hard driving at track events in case the pads wear down faster than expected.