WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Volkswagen Problems...

Guest piku

SO, I just found out that it will cost around $1400 for a shop to fix my central locking...anyone on here have experience with this that could do it cheaper? Not exactly sure at this point what the exact issue with the locking is. The shop manager basically told me it isn't worth it and moved onto telling me what all of my other issues were and how poor I was going to be. I have a '99 Audi A4 quattro. It is the biggest problem child I have ever owned. I want to sell my car in spring and want it to be in the best shape I can possibly afford. As of now I would be selling it without central locking [$1400] and in dire need of new suspension [$1200ish] AND it needs a new front bumper which is around a grand as well. So I'm trying to get rid of a $1400 problem. I'll get myself on an Audi forum at some point I swear...

Here is a kitty doing yoga, for your troubles...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.thatcutesite.com/uploads/2010/07/kitten_headstand.jpg%7Boption%7D

None of the buttons work and the remote is dead but I'm sure that wouldn't work either. I have to unlock my door, with the key obviously, and then pull each passenger door handle from the inside to unlock those and push the locks down to lock. My trunk also stopped unlocking completely. When I try unlocking it with the key it turns in the correct direction and everything but the alarm goes off once I push the button in to open it, but it won't open because it isn't actually unlocking. It kind of seems like the doors "lock" when the truck is unlocked and vice versa, but the trunk doesn't actually unlock at all. I was told once before that it was the central locking pump which I found online for $180, but I guess they think it's something more than that. I'm sure that 1400 includes quite a bit of labor as well. I'm going to ask more questions once they finish the oil and coolant leak that I took it in for. They're always crazy busy so they tend to rush phone calls.

No idea on the locking, but the suspension shouldn't cost anywhere near $1200.. As Earl said, cheap coilovers or even a simple set of ebay struts + springs would be good enough to sell the car with.

Plus, that's something we forum peeps would have no problem installing for a 6 pack of beer and some cupcakes :)

So the part I need for the locks is the "Vacuum Supply Pump" which is $900 from Audi, much much cheaper if I can find it used but I've had no luck so far. The shop even said they'd help me put it in, for freezies, if I can find one. Apparently It's incredibly easy to install and would only take 15min but the trouble is finding a used one. I guess the $1400 he quoted was when he was talking about if I needed a heater core and wanted the locks fixed. I'm working on finding one but I'm not desperate for it. If someone is that picky about HAVING to have power locks they can suck it. The locks themselves still perform their primary function. Thanks guys.