WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Timing Belt

visian

Question

I'm going to do a timing belt, misc belts, and water pump replacement first weekend of October on my 1990 325is.

I should have all the tools necessary, including a 36mm cone wrench for the fan bolt. Any parts I'm missing or anything else I should do while I'm in there? I attached a screenshot of my shopping cart but it's tiny. Here's the list

- Water Pump, Single Outlet (uses metal impeller) NOTE: Also use one 11-51-1-722-677-M17 gasket, 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (9/87-92)

- Belt, for Wing Cell A/C Compressor, 13 X 810, 318i (1984-85), 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), M3 (1987-91), 633CSi (1978-03/84)

- Belt, Power Steering 10 X 825, E30 323i Euro, 325/e/es, 325i/is/iC/iX Brand: Contitech

- Timing Belt Kit (includes tensioner), 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), Brand: Contitech

- Belt, Alternator 10 X 965, E30 325/e/es, 325i/is/iC/iX (1984-91) Brand: Contitech

Edited by visian

2 answers to this question

I would replace the distributor cap and rotor if you are unsure of the age/condition.

I am wishing I would have replaced my camshaft seal but didn't (just because I would hate for it to start leaking, get on the belt and have it jump a tooth / break prematurely)

You may check into replacing the alternator mount bushing ( I have never done so but was surprised when I saw it marked down as a replacement part on some parts sites)

It would be a good time to replace the coolant hoses up front.

I personally would use RTV on the water pump gasket. The Bentley manual made no mention of it, some techs will say you dont need it, I thoroughly cleaned and prepped all my surfaces and ended up doing the timing belt job all over again the next day because it leaked.

I spent a lot of time cleaning and de-greasing parts since it was when I first got my car. So the whole job took me about 6 hours start to finish working leisurely. But after I had to do it again (due to the leak) I had it all re-done in 2 hours.