WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Electrical problems

Ted

My 91 e30 318i seems to be having some electrical problems. Drive in fine but a month later after completing some minor work (non electrical) the car won't start. Fully charge battery when ignition is turned on all lights on dash go dim and when tested volt at battery I get between 5-6 volts on a fresh charged battery. Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks

^^^ sounds a little too obvious, but the same thing happened to me and my M3. Recharged the battery and nothing. I think it just finally gave out!

If nothing else it's an easy thing to check off the list if that's not the issue. I have a spare e30 M3 alternator if you need one, not sure if they are the same across the E30 family.... Or if that would even be something to check...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a new battery and fully charge it reads 11.7 volts. However after connected and ignition on it reads about 6-7 volts and ignition lamps are very dim and no power in car. Any other suggestions welcomed

• 3 months later...