WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Any vert gurus here?

stealthbimmer

Question

9 answers to this question

I've owned 2 E36 verts and have diagnosed some problems.  Tops can be tricky - there are a lot of micro switches, any one of which could go bad.  There are also three motors and the processor which can give you trouble.

First, though, you should tackle the easy things - have you checked fuses?  My Bentley manual says that for your '97, fuses 7, 24, 27, 42, 43, and 49 - in the black box on the left side of the engine compartment have some involvement with the top.  Check them all.  Mostly they are small amperage 5-10A; however 49 is a 20A.

Assuming the fuses are correct, probably your next step is to see if the motors operate under power.  Probably this will require removal of the motors from the car.  On my 96 - which was the semi-auto top, I found removal of the tonneau and top motors to be not too bad, just a little futzy. Your 97 should have a fully auto top which means a motor in the first bow. Since you first had trouble putting the top down, that might be the first suspect since none of the other motors will be called for until that motor has done its job.  I now have a '98 which is the fully auto top, but it (knock on wood) has worked perfectly for the entire time I've owned it - so I've not had reason to take it apart.  I did for some reason look it up online and it really didn't seem to bad of a job.  Once out, you'll need a multi-tester and a power source to check for operation.

I've not heard (m)any instances of microswitches failing, short of physical damage, so if you get so far as finding the fuses are OK and the motors work it may be the processor and you might be best served going to the dealer for a diagnosis on that.

Good luck!

On 8/31/2017 at 3:56 PM, stealthbimmer said:

Checked the fuses. All good.

Motors still do nothing when switch is pushed. When I do the resync procedure, the only thing that happens is the windows will pulse down inch by inch if I continue to hold the switch.

Can you give us some more detail on the parts you checked?

Which fuses, the amperage etc?

Also have you tried just sending 12v to the vert motor itself? 

37 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Can you give us some more detail on the parts you checked?

Which fuses, the amperage etc?

Also have you tried just sending 12v to the vert motor itself? 

Checked all the fuses associated with the top, all looked fine. 

I have not tried doing anything with the motor directly. How would I go about doing that. 

I have kinda put the top on back burner. The car also has a trans problem, so I am working on that in my limited time at the moment

When the top is up, the storage cover sat fully closed and latched. After manually putting the top down, the storage lid sits a good inch up from where it should be. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything. I really have no clue when it comes to verts. The car will be a nice weather car only, so I am not really worried about it operating properly to be honest. I would, however, like to get it fully stowed away at least. 

3 hours ago, stealthbimmer said:

Checked all the fuses associated with the top, all looked fine. 

I have not tried doing anything with the motor directly. How would I go about doing that. 

I have kinda put the top on back burner. The car also has a trans problem, so I am working on that in my limited time at the moment

When the top is up, the storage cover sat fully closed and latched. After manually putting the top down, the storage lid sits a good inch up from where it should be. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything. I really have no clue when it comes to verts. The car will be a nice weather car only, so I am not really worried about it operating properly to be honest. I would, however, like to get it fully stowed away at least. 

I hear you. The latch is powered and its not engaging that's why the tonneau cover  is not closing all the way. 

Watch some of the following videos and try to resync. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=E36+vert+top+not+working&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS750US750&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuu4HHppHWAhUi24MKHcozC7UQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=1021

12 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

I hear you. The latch is powered and its not engaging that's why the tonneau cover  is not closing all the way. 

Watch some of the following videos and try to resync. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=E36+vert+top+not+working&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS750US750&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuu4HHppHWAhUi24MKHcozC7UQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=1021

Tried resync. The only thing that happens in the windows pulse down inch by inch. No movement or noise from anything in the top.

None of those videos had the same problem. Mine literally has nothing in the vert top assembly move...just the windows

3 hours ago, stealthbimmer said:

Tried resync. The only thing that happens in the windows pulse down inch by inch. No movement or noise from anything in the top.

None of those videos had the same problem. Mine literally has nothing in the vert top assembly move...just the windows

I would go to the motors in the trunk, disconnect the battery, and using some alligator clips or prongs and ad 12v to both the top and tonneau motors seperatly and see if you get movement.

If yes- trace the wires back to the next integral part of that particular circuit. Keep going until you no longer have 12v going to the motor. You can also do this with an ohm meter which I highly suggest.

you can do the above starting at the fuse as well, but I find it easier to start at the component you are testing. 

If no- you have a bad motor. 

Also grab another human to help you and have them test the fuse to see if it gets 12v when you push the button. Also make sure the car is in park or the parking brake is engauged, and you have the key on RUN. Sounds dumb but I have taken alot of things apart when it turns out im just an idiot. LOL. If the car is NOT in park or the switch for the selector is not triggered nothing will move.