WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Anyone Knowledgeable On Mini Coopers?!?

ClassE

My mom texted me this AM saying when she got her 2010 Mini Cooper off the highway on her way to work - the car died going over the overpass. I had assumed she ran it low on fuel or had a dirty fuel pump pickup since she said it restarted after it sat for awhile. She took it to the dealer as the precaution - here's what the Mini dealer told her:

"According to Brandon at the dealership, mini's burn oil. I told him this car has never gone thru 2 qts of oil in just 6,000 miles (which is approx the mileage since they last serviced that car). I asked if they had checked oil then and he said he was sure they had. I asked him if today they have checked everything including the gaskets, seals and fuel line/ intake & he said they checked everything. When I told him no oil warning lite came on lately & he said there isn't one & it's my responsibility to periodically pull the oil stick &check the oil level."

So per Mini:

-The car burns a quart of oil every 3000 miles (but has a dealer recommended oil change interval of 15,000 miles?!?).

-When the car gets more then 2 quarts low on the oil, you'll get no warning lights or indicators.... Your car will just shut off?

Might have to go throat punch a Bergstrom Mini employee tomorrow....

There is no warning light .... It sucks

If this car is not under any kind of warranty with the dealer, bring it to Urban Motorworx for service and talk to Mat over there. He will be able to tell you what you need to check and how often to make sure this doesn't happen. I have had many discussions with him about this issue and highly recommend you doing the same. 

There is low no oil light on the r56 mini's and they have been known to consume oil early in their life.  They do have a low oil pressure light but low oil and low oil pressure don't always go hand in hand.  As far as why it shut down, it is possible that it was 2 quarts low, shut down then after sitting the oil settled in the crankcase and the car restarted.  That sounds like a stretch but it's feasible.  Either way i'd say there is a problem with the car (mr. obvious) and i'd recommend another shop check it out if you guys didn't like the answer Mini gave.  Matt at Urban is a great resource.

I'd be hard to believe that the car would shut down with the oil only being down 2 quarts. I know for a fact that I've seen at least a few minis come in to my work with oil lower than that and functioning properly. I find it strange that oil consumption is so common and acceptable by manufacturers these days, especially with the oh so common 15k recommended oil service intervals. Tried to get a year old 8k mile audi a4 warrantied for using 1 qt every 600 miles and apparently that is "within spec." Rediculous.