WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Custom exhaust

mmradix

There are very few who can weld titanium well/correctly.  Plus it is stupid expensive.

I have it on my bike, but I don't think  the ROI (weight loss ) would be worth it on a 5 series.  They are such a pig of a car (weight wise).  It the whole scheme of things it could actually hurt handling (I know, you now think I'm retarded, but hear me out).  You are removing lbs from the very bottom of the car.   Not a huge amount but enough.  Since it is coming from the bottom of the car, the center of gravity (COG) will move up.  This will increase body roll, etc.  If you want to spend stupid money on a mod that looks cool, reduces weight AND lowers COG, invest in a carbon roof.  win win all around.

There are very few who can weld titanium well/correctly.  Plus it is stupid expensive.

I have it on my bike, but I don't think  the ROI (weight loss ) would be worth it on a 5 series.  They are such a pig of a car (weight wise).  It the whole scheme of things it could actually hurt handling (I know, you now think I'm retarded, but hear me out).  You are removing lbs from the very bottom of the car.   Not a huge amount but enough.  Since it is coming from the bottom of the car, the center of gravity (COG) will move up.  This will increase body roll, etc.  If you want to spend stupid money on a mod that looks cool, reduces weight AND lowers COG, invest in a carbon roof.  win win all around.

It makes complete sense and I did give some thought to altering the weight distribution of the car. I'm not set on the exhaust and it's the beginning stages of mods. I think like you said there are ways to combat altering the weight reduction. I think the guys at KM have some racing experience and can point me in the right direction. I may have to lower it or change the sway bar or both.