WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Computer Programming Help Wanted

B C

no this isnt a tuning thread, put your pitchforks down 

I want to make a Windows executable file (command prompt interface is fine) that asks for a user input (part number),

does a windows file search for a pdf file with the same name as the part number, cuts and pastes the pdf from its current directory, and moves it to another directory.

I have dabbled with C++ a smidgen and could likely complete this with some assistance from someone who might know how to call up those functions. 

or, do you know of any good windows macro programs?

Anyone? 

C++ is overkill. I've done waaaay more complicated things with bash scripts in linux. Should be do-able even in windows with a command-line (batch, .bat) script.

What's the larger goal here? If you know the name of the file it should be plenty easy to find manually unless the files are distributed in a lot of different places or something?

Here you go: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/unices/104524/

An equivalent command line script in linux (or mac) would only be a few lines long depending on how fancy you want to get. Windows command line scripting sucks massively by comparison. Visual Basic is probably your best option because it could run natively on any windows computer and it's easy to add graphical interfaces if you want to.

Other viable options would be to install a scripting language like Perl, or a "Bash"-type shell like Cygwin.