WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

S65 missing a cam gear cover?!

i_love_cars

Question

Guys, check this out. I'm working on bluE92's car right now and we took off the valve cover to find some.......irregularities. I'm looking for thoughts. 

Pulled the cover off to find several abnormalities that are concerning and wanted to get some other opinions on the risk factor here. So basically, someone (prior owner or shop or something) drilled/ground out part of the original valve cover, as well as made a cut on the inside edge of the cylinder head surface where the cover/gasket attach to on one of the corners. That was troubling but whatever - the gasket around it wasn't leaking and seems to seal so ok..

The bigger issue is this: I was looking around in the head for any other issues and noticed a chunk of plastic (clearly not manufactured) wedged between the wall of the cylinder head and a cam roller. Was able to pull it out with pliers pretty easily and inspect. Photos attached. 

Then we looked at the cam gear covers and noticed one of these covers is missing. I have attached a picture of what the BMW repair manual shows that they have covers on the end - one of the shafts is missing a cover altogether - again, photo attached. It looks like the piece of plastic I found was actually from the cover...also interesting is the cover that's missing is the one that should sit right next to the edge of the valve cover where someone at some point drilled/cut out part of the material. I am concerned that they damaged the cover in the process, and over time it ripped apart, thus the piece of plastic that was found inside the head. I'm concerned that there may be other pieces in there and it's just a matter of sheer dumb luck that the motor hasn't siezed yet - the piece of plastic we found, if loose, could easily find its way into the cam gear and destroy the motor. Again, see photos.

I'm trying to get second opinions on how to proceed at this point i.e. get another cover? Do I trust there's no other hidden piece of shredded plastic waiting to wreck this car? What really sucks is that it looks like the part is not sold separately, but part of a larger assembly that costs $965 at Turner motorsports

Here's how it SHOULD look:
s65_correct_camgear_covers_zps9oiug8gn.p

Here's what it currently looks like:

fed_up_zpsgduo4d24.png

Here is what happened to the valve cover when that corner was cut/drilled:

IMG_0197_zpspjswgt4r.jpg

and finally here is the piece of plastic I removed from under the cam roller:

IMG_0198_zpswvvrb1lh.jpg

3 answers to this question