WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

driveline fluid for my E46 XI

Spezio

Question

In my quest for diff and TC fluids, I found out a couple things.I am more or less looking for input on said fluids I plan on using, and any experience with them as well. I plan on using Pentosin MTF2 75w-80 GL4 in the trans(manual) and the TC. I understand some use redline ATF fluid for that, but after reading a post on E46fanatics,  an oil analysis showed Pentosin to be closest to OE spec fluid and with the TC being all gear driven, it made sense to me.

The second part is the diff fluid. It seems Redline 75w-90 is the go to for this, but my old indy shop says he wouldn't.(They only use OE fluids from BMW). Zimbrick wants 22 bucks for half a qt.... :o seems excessive to me...I was going to use either redline, liquimoly, or Castrol syntrax. Any input on the matter is appreciated! 

6 answers to this question

I find that the tranny fluid can make a huge difference, I ran royal purple in my e36 ZF this year and was very impressed by it. 
In regards to diff fluid for the e46 I just did mine with mobile 1 gear oil and it doesn't make any more noise than before, and may be a little bit smoother but it is pretty hard to tell. 
It seems that they are picky with what fluid you put in the trans, but don't really care whats in the diff.

In my g250 manual which calls for dexron3 I have used Royal Purple Synchromax (their fluid for manuals that require ATF).  I switched to the UUC recommended Redline atf/gear oil mix when I put in the lightweight flywheel and the transmission seems to shift nicer.  This may only apply to the g250 though.