WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e30 Convertible top re-sync

cpandrewschmidt

Question

Is anyone here familiar with how to re-sync the top for an e30 convertible? 

I have a new to me 1991 325i convertible.  It has the automatic top.  Seller (tiny dealer) said it was converted to a manual top.  Last weekend I started investigating in the truck after trying to find threads online to get it to work.  I was most concerned with getting the tonneau cover motor to latch and close the lid tight.  Previous owner put in crappy boat straps to hold it down, which I don’t trust to not flop up in the wind.

For those that might know a little about these things work here’s what I’ve discovered:  I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to confirm both motors work.  We were able to get the tonneau motor to close and latch once.  However, something isn’t right with the sync process as we can’t get the car to do it again.  The micro switches may be max out, or we’re out of sync, I don’t know.  I’ve read the e30ic website with the procedure, but frankly I don’t understand it.

So, if anyone has had experience with this I’d certainly appreciate some tips, or help for some beers!  I’m in Madison. 

Thanks much,

Andrew  

2 answers to this question

Hey! I can help you. I have an auto top on my car and it wasn't working when I bought it either. Its a very complicated system, but when it works, its damn awesome. If you have questions, ask away, but better yet I am in Madison too, so if you have time, you could drive it to my shop and we can use my car as a reference.