WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E36 M3 front steering problem

LF(E36)M3

Question

15 answers to this question

Floating/drifting (not to be confused with rage drifting) is going to be caused by unequal and fluctuating forces at the contact patches. 

The main cause of this is a change in alignment which changes how the contact patch interfaces with the road.

First up.  The toe setting on the alignment. this is most likely the culprit but the basic toe setting at an alignment shop is not always the only reason for toe being out of spec.

An alignment can show proper spec on paper but when actually driving down the road, the toe can fluctuate due to worn bushings, worn ball joints, worn tie-rods, loose steering rack mounting hardware, frame damage, abnormal tire wear.

In most cases new control arms with new ball joints, lower control arm bushings, and an alignment will cure it completely

Like Snap said, alignment is going to be your most common cause and worn suspension parts are usually the cause of the improper alignment.  In this instance, without test driving it I would have to say the lower control arm bushings or the lower steering shaft would be the cause.  

If you wanted to bring it by I can take a look at it for you.  I was ASE certifed A4 (steering and suspension) and A5 (brakes) in a not so long ago life and specialized in ride control concerns for the past 6 years.

took a look under the car today the controle arms look good and the rack looked to be mounted tight no play or anything in that or the tie rods. did replace the lower controle bushings on both arms they were pretty well shot. so hopping that will help with the stearing. will still get a alinement done. while i had it up i checked the stearing shaft, the joints seem good but i can twist the whole thing a little eather way not shur if that normal or not. the back lower controle arms seem like the bushing that is at the wheel might be bad?? i can twist the arm down where it conects to the wheel, again im not shur if thats supost to have any play in it or not but i will probobly look in to changing them out anyway as im shur they are just as old as the front controle bushings were.

Its not my job to critique spelling errors but that was quite the post! :D

Tie rod will twist a few degrees forward and backward due to the intentional movement of the balljoint. It should not have axial freeplay. To simplify everything, you should not have any freeplay in any direction when grabbing the tire with both hands at 6:00 and 12:00 (positions, not times of the day) and again at 9:00 and 3:00, then by lifting up as if to compress the strut.