WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Craigslist Rant Thread

Ryan...

Well, we all have our good stories about CL horrors (at least I do, and I CANNOT be alone in this), so I think this could turn out to be a somewhat funny/pitiful thread :P

For instance, tonight I went to check out a set of wheels.

$220 for a set of 10 spoke, 17x7 wheels in my bolt pattern. I ask the guy SPECIFICALLY if there are any bends. I told him, "I dont care about curb rash or faded clear coat/paint, I just dont want any bends."

He said, "No, t here are no bends on these wheels."

I asked him to double check. No bends he says.

So I grab my jack, wrenches. a flashlight, tape measure, and giant dildo (for future butt raping I would take) and head out for the 54 mile trip to northern Green Bay to check out the wheels.

I arrive, all wheels are set out nicely in the driveway. We shake hands, shoot the shit for a bit, and go try a wheel on. Everything is going just swell. Now I'm about to hand the dude his money and be on my way. Then it hits me, "Ryan, you haven't even checked out the other wheels yet!"

So I pull out my handy little flashlight and start looking them over closely. SURE SHIT! Wheel #2 has a beautiful little hairline crack on one of the spokes. Not a big deal, that can be repaired easily. Wheel #3 looks good... And then, BOOM, wheel #4 has a friggin bend on it! Not a little one either! Clearly noticeable; I measured across the wheel on a non bent spot and it was 18" across, on the dot. Measuring from the bent spot directly across; 17.5". It was bent over half and inch, along approx 3 inches of the inner wheel :mad:

At this point I'm both relieved that I didn't grab it, and pissed that I just put on over 50 miles one way to go look at those damn wheels. I ask the guy, "didn't you check these??? I asked you specifically 3 times if they were bent!"

To which he replied, "well, bro, its not bent that bad, and what did you expect, they're only $220."

To which I replied, "Honestly? Go F*** yourself."

To which he replied, "It wouldn't have been a problem if you just bought them, I'll knock $20 off the price."

At that point my mind was blown, he basically just said that if I had bought them anyway, he'd have cash in hand and I'd be stuck with a set of destroyed wheels. I gave him the finger and walked silently back to my car. To celebrate, I spent $7.88 at Taco Bell, and that's hard to do.

Guest TurboJake

Hey now, I have a bent wheel you sold me, nut IDAF. I've wanted 15's for god knows how long. And not 2 days before seeing your ad I was contemplating the Type A ESM reps

But, it's nowhere NEAR half an inch. I measured it, I was able to spot 1/16th of an inch bend in a photo. I think that's impressive :P

That is a bit ridiculous, and I would have to say that seller is a douche. I would've probably done exactly what you did. that's pretty bad.

That said, the Borbets balanced out just fine with newish tires on it.

What's your bolt pattern. I might have/be able to get just the set of wheels for you. sadly enough.... I have a lot of connections in the 5x100/5x114.3 world.

And, a lot of 17" tires too.....

Edited by TurboJake

Hey now, I have a bent wheel you sold me, nut IDAF. I've wanted 15's for god knows how long. And not 2 days before seeing your ad I was contemplating the Type A ESM reps

But, it's nowhere NEAR half an inch. I measured it, I was able to spot 1/16th of an inch bend in a photo. I think that's impressive :P

That is a bit ridiculous, and I would have to say that seller is a douche. I would've probably done exactly what you did. that's pretty bad.

That said, the Borbets balanced out just fine with newish tires on it.

What's your bolt pattern. I might have/be able to get just the set of wheels for you. sadly enough.... I have a lot of connections in the 5x100/5x114.3 world.

And, a lot of 17" tires too.....

yeah man I actually feel terrible about that bend :(

That was impressive work on your end, I had no idea there was a bend, the slicks probably did a great job hiding the fact! And I'm glad they balanced out!

I've got my heart set on RPF1s, working on a couple sets right now actually :)

Guest TurboJake

I gotchya. I don't know anyone with the RPF1's

But, Don't feel bad about that bend. I did drive all the way down there pretty much knowing it was there, right ;)

I still think it's 300 dollars worth of wheels.