WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E34 Heater Core Leak?

BMWben

Question

My car has been losing coolant since I've gotten it. At first there was a crack in a tube going from the reservoir to the radiator but I fixed that up. Then I kept getting losing coolant after that but I didn't see anything dripping so I assumed it was a leaking head gasket. Now the dripping is back and it is coming from the back of the engine block, it is dripping on to the down pipe of the exhaust and around that general area. I'm thinking it is the heater core or maybe some tubes going to the heater core. Anyone have any ideas? If I do need to get a new heater core, are they all $150 or does someone know where you can get a better priced one. Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Back of the engine on a v8, most likely a valley pan which is under the intake manifold. e34's are known to have bad heater cores but that would be leaking inside the car. Otherwise there are some 2 coolant hoses that go to the heater core in the engine bay. Id inspect the valley pan and go from there. If no leak is visually seen there then pressure test the system and inspect.

Back of the engine on a v8, most likely a valley pan which is under the intake manifold. e34's are known to have bad heater cores but that would be leaking inside the car. Otherwise there are some 2 coolant hoses that go to the heater core in the engine bay. Id inspect the valley pan and go from there. If no leak is visually seen there then pressure test the system and inspect.

Are you talking about #5 in the diagram? 

105.png