WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

crappy e36

frcefed

Question

Well, ive got a few questions and need some help making my e36 cool. First, the rear suspension feels really soft and loose, as in the bushings feel weak, where should I go to find either better bushings or control arms?

Second, I put some h&r lowering springs in all the way around but the rear sits just as high as it did before?! Why is that? Haha I hate how high it sits in the rear.

Third, is anyone running a 7200rpm limit? I want to but I'm worried that the m50 w/vanos can't handle it with drifting seeing as I'm @ rev limit literally all day on track days.

IMAG0325.jpg

Got the dimensions, here's a sketch i made.  Didn't have time to draw it in CAD.  It has to be a split design for assembly.  The poly ones have an aluminum sleeve through the center, the bolt is an m12.  My poly ones have a sleeve that is about 1" O.D. through the middle, now that I think about it, the sleeve is probably necessary because there needs to be rotation when the suspension compresses and the mount bracket locks down on whatever is in the center.  If you didn't have a sleeve then it would clamp down on the bushing and the rotation would be forced to happen at the O.D. of the bushing against the control arm.

ScannedfromaXeroxMultifunctionDevice_zps

Got the dimensions, here's a sketch i made.  Didn't have time to draw it in CAD.  It has to be a split design for assembly.  The poly ones have an aluminum sleeve through the center, the bolt is an m12.  My poly ones have a sleeve that is about 1" O.D. through the middle, now that I think about it, the sleeve is probably necessary because there needs to be rotation when the suspension compresses and the mount bracket locks down on whatever is in the center.  If you didn't have a sleeve then it would clamp down on the bushing and the rotation would be forced to happen at the O.D. of the bushing against the control arm.

ScannedfromaXeroxMultifunctionDevice_zps

Looks good to me.

The split is flat, OE bushing is not split, but these have to be 2 pieces to fit them into the control arm.  You could make the sleeve maybe .010ish (whatever that is in mm) longer than the 49.25mm, it is mainly so the bushing doesn't get pinched too tight, I would drill the center hole at a snug slip fit for the aluminum sleeve.  Between the bushing and the sleeve is where you want the rotation to happen when the suspension compresses.

Wait are these rear trailing arms, or rear subframe bushings? Lol. I feel like the rtabs are pretty small. Like 1.5" od or less. 

Man I lied. I was going to build these, but I thought they were the same as the e30. I need e30 rear subframe bushing and rear trailing arm bushings. Anyone want to measure some? I have a rear subframe I guess I could measure? Paying 300$ for 30$ worth of delrin is crazy talk to me.