WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

02 e39 530i click when turning

MarcK

Question

This one is getting to me a bit. There is a slight click when I'm turning and the noise increases and decreases with my rate of speed. It's coming from the driver's side front wheel. I feel nothing, just hear that click/tick. I've removed the wheels, used a wire wheel to go over everything lightly and sprayed brake cleaner all over everything. Once I put the wheel back on, no noises for a couple days. Then, the click comes back and starts driving me up the wall again! I just changed the brake pads last weekend to see if that made a difference... none, except how quickly it stops again. This honestly makes no sense to me as I can't find anything rubbing, calipers seem to move very smooth, dust shield is pushed back far enough, etc.

I'm kinda tired of removing the wheel and putting it back on every few days to get rid of the click. My post is really to see if you guys have any suggestions to what I should check next. 

I have oversized hubs with hub centric rings. Don't know if the ring could be worn out or not, but I thought that was something I should mention. 

13 answers to this question

No spacers, everything is stock right now except the rings. I found two possible answers, but one of them doesn't make sense to me. One person said they replaced the sway bar links and the click went away for them. I could buy this one. The other suggestion was wheel bearing. I thought a bearing would make more of a grind or humming sound (?). Is it possible that it's a click from the driver's side wheel bearing?

*You make a good point. Because I'm rather anal, I want a concentricity gauge to have around just in case now.

Only while I'm turning. Once I hit a certain angle, it goes away. Driving straight, it's as smooth and quiet as it's supposed to be. The village is 4 traffic circles long, and that angle is enough to make it click.

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around it being a bearing, but... I've got 145k now so I'll probably do them anyway for piece of mind.

I did check for movement, but didn't feel enough of anything to get my attention. If it is the hub, my guess is that this is so early it hasn't started moving much yet.

I'll be replacing the hub/bearings next weekend. I'll report back either way.

*I'm actually doing the hubs/bearings on my wife's Pathfinder this weekend. The hub movement is very obvious on that thing.

Hub bearing being replaced for no reason other than piece of mind probably in the next couple weeks (still spending my wknds fixing our pathfinder). If I don't see a previously posted thread about the hub/bearings, I'll post some pics and instructions, and any problems I run into. Thx guys!

BTW... still no noise. No idea how that ring could have MUCH to do with it, but I'll take it at this point!