WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

m20 Surging idle problem

jc43089

Question

8 answers to this question

check the throttle cable adjustment  including the accelerator cable and cruise control cable on the throttle body to make sure the throttle body is closing completely. Check for cracks in your intake boot and other vacuum leaks such as the dipstick tube, oil cap, and pcv breather tube. check the throttle position switch to make sure it is working. 

Excellent, thanks.  Didn't think it was anything major.  First thing I need to check is if there is enough fluid but 4hp22 trans no worky either, goes if coaxed in reverse but no forward gears.  Said it might have been driven from Madison to Platteville in first gear...  Probably shot?

As for the 4HP22, I think it is shot. I had the same thing, no forward and reverse worked fine. What happens is the forward (A) clutch pak burns out. Not much harder to repair than a clutch on a manual. You will need to find a clutch pak from donor tranny. I rebuilt my whole transmission. It was that or the 5 speed swap. I know the autos don't get much credit but they are very good IMO. Key is to remember to NEVER rev the engine after the car has been put in gear. This is what kills the A clutch pak. I am glad I kept the auto in the 528e.