WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Flywheel Advise

M318

Question

Ok apparently I need to replace my dual mass flywheel every time a new clutch is installed says my bimmernut reputable mechanic buddy. I found this. What do you guys think? F1 RACING PROLITE 16 LBS FLYWHEEL http://www.allreplacement.com/product/1228

I dont have time to fuck around either. I gotta order something quick. I am sick of pushing my car in and out of my shop.

9 answers to this question

I just bought a brand new oem sachs clutch and pressure plate. Shouldn't I be ok with that? I got the 5spd zf also. So you are saying to mix those two fluids to put into my trans?

Yeah the OEM will be fine, the difference is the E34 M5 clutch is a sprung hub clutch, and that really helps cut down on clatter from the LTW flywheel. I 100% recommend that fluid combo! Made a big difference on my E36 for shift quality as well as killing a little of the flywheel noise.

Go for it.

Just steer clear of the blue flywheel of death

dat shit cray.

Are you referring to the UUC one?  Whats the stinky on that?  Just curious as I have had one for a few years with no troubles.

Also the mixture of redline fluids is excellent, I have no gear rattle after putting that in with (e34 M5 clutch)

Oh, I am still using stock tune.  Is the UUC one worse than others?  I think a bigger issue is the super smart folks replacing the harmonic balancer with a under drive pulley.  I'm sure the flywheel is important but the harmonic balancer is what keeps the crank in one piece.