WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M42 Timing Cover Gaskets

Earl

Question

The Ti has had a pesky leak from the timing covers ever since the PO decided to part her out. Although it isn't horrid, it still erks me. I have all of the gaskets neccessary to change the gaskets on the front end of the motor. From the valve cover, to the seal between the timing covers, to the lower cover gasket itself. I got them all. But my question is, do any of you guys have experience doing this repair within a day or two? You have to pull the crank pulley to remove the lower timing cover. That itself takes 250 foot pounds. lol Anyone who would be willing to help me change these would kindly be rewarded with Cheese Its and Arizona Ice Teas=D

3 answers to this question

The Ti has had a pesky leak from the timing covers ever since the PO decided to part her out. Although it isn't horrid, it still erks me. I have all of the gaskets neccessary to change the gaskets on the front end of the motor. From the valve cover, to the seal between the timing covers, to the lower cover gasket itself. I got them all. But my question is, do any of you guys have experience doing this repair within a day or two? You have to pull the crank pulley to remove the lower timing cover. That itself takes 250 foot pounds. lol Anyone who would be willing to help me change these would kindly be rewarded with Skittles and Arizona Ice Teas=D

Breaker bar wedged against the ground + very brief jog of the starter motor = easy crank pulley bolt removal