WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Wrecked car won't start

xgeetx

Question

Hey guys,

I got a new radiator overflow tank to replace my shattered one. After getting my front end off my radiator looks fine -- I put some coolant in it and fired it up annnnndddddddd nothing :(

It struggles to turn over and then sputters and dies. Any ideas? I'm making the huge assumption I did not overheat the engine (temperature gauge never indicated such... I did see steam/smoke but I'm hoping that was my washer fluid), but I don't actually know that. The car drove away from the accident, onto a tow truck, and off the truck into my parking spot...

I will try lowering the car and trying again just to see if it was being elevated (doubtful). Any ideas besides I wrecked it so there's no way to know :)? What else is in the front end that I may have damage that would prevent it from starting? What does a fuel pump/alternator failing make a car sound like?

Edit: I put my thinking cap on. Are there any sensors in front (pretty much anything in front of the bumper support/front of engine) of the engine the ECU needs signal from? Most of the damage was passenger side. What would the consequence of the serpentine belt not spinning properly do? I imagine if the alternator is not spinning well, it would stop the car from properly idling? It sounds pretty awful when it turns over. The 3rd time I tried it idled for a second and then quit. I'm afraid continuous tries might make something work... but if the engine is already fucked, then oh well!

Haha! Maybe a little bit.

The spraying I think was because I didn't seat the gasket on correctly, and then drove around. It appeared to have "sprayed" because the engine was covered in oil, but perhaps I exaggerated a bit :).

Got a new radiator fan, radiator mount (holy shit only $39 on ebay w/ free shipping), and the cap & bleed screw for my expansion tank. Waiting on the gasket to get here and then we'll see how it all goes! I'm hoping the engine was shaking because of the now-asymmetrical radiator fan... hence the new one I ordered.