WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Help! Axle/Diff Issue!

TrickTizzle

Question

Was going to get gas the other day and all of a sudden I hear a big thump...and now when I left off the gas all I hear is thump thump thump. It seems its quite violent. I got under the car and  found one of the nuts of the axles sitting on the exhaust.

I live in an apartment so there isnt much room to work in my garage...Would there be any one around Milwaukee that can help me diagnose what's going on with my car and possibly fix the axle if it came down to it?

10 answers to this question

Guest bigjae1976

So the axle bolt sheared off? The half shafts are held in my some E12 bolts. Or do you need to replace the half shaft? Or are you talking about the splines in the hub sheared off?

I have the tools to do remove the axle if you need some help.

I'm not sure...

I took for another spin last night and the noise goes away when the rear is under load, or if I drop it N.

I'd say its the half shaft/output shaft. I dont know a whole lot about the drive train on these cars so I'm just guessing.

Any chance you'd be able to meet up and give the noise a listen?

Guest bigjae1976

Axles and output shafts just don't break...I'd put my money on the CSB. I have E12 sockets, impact and a universal joint. Drop the exhaust, some covers, and the heat shield. Then you can inspect the center bearing.

I'd also replace the flex disc, the lock nuts for the flex disk, buy a cover for the CV joint, and repack with grease if you end up replacing the CSB.

Axles and output shafts just don't break...I'd put my money on the CSB. I have E12 sockets, impact and a universal joint. Drop the exhaust, some covers, and the heat shield. Then you can inspect the center bearing.

I'd also replace the flex disc, the lock nuts for the flex disk, buy a cover for the CV joint, and repack with grease if you end up replacing the CSB.

I think you're right, its the CSB. At first it seemed to be an axel issue but the noise has tapered off a bit but its still there.

Does anyone have access to a lift? I don't think this job would be too fun with the car on jackstands..?

If it's a northern car, you probably won't get the cat section separated from the catback without cutting the bolts and putting new in.  With 2 people you can drop the whole thing without too much trouble though.  You need a large channel locks to loosen the nut in the middle of the driveshaft to get it to shorten.  The CSB needs to be preloaded when installed, a fancy term for push it forward 1cm before tightening the bolts.  Mark the 2 parts of the shaft when you separate so you can reassemble the same way.