WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e36 Front Caliper: Assembly Issue

Earl

Question

I am having an issue with one of my front calipers that I am rebuilding.

I cannot get the piston to slide into the bore. I can get it to slide in when I dry fit the parts, install just the seal (no dust boot), or install just the dust boot (no seal). If I install the seal and the dust boot, the piston will not slide into the bore. It seems to be getting hung up on something.

I took the piston off again this morning to see nothing that would cause it to hang up (I have done this more times than I would like to think). There is light corrosion in the rear half of the bore but it doesn't cause any hang-ups during dry fitting.

I am thinking that I should still remove that using 600 grit emery cloth.

My other front caliper went together very easily and so did both of my rears. I am confused as to what is causing the hold-up. Any ideas? 

13 answers to this question

Caliper assembly lube. It worked excellent on the other three calipers=) I even used a shit ton to see if it would help and that didn't work at all either. 

Edit: I just tried fitting the piston with just the inner seal again. Now that isn't working. It seems like the o-ring won't allow it to pass through. I took it out and set it around the piston to see if it was super tight or what the issue was. The o-ring actually seems to be a good bit larger than the piston (approximately 1/32 gap between the two). Could this be a defective o-ring or could it be swelling from the caliper assembly lube? I am not sure why it may have worked with just the seal before but now it doesn't. I can order another rebuild kit but want to make sure that this o-ring isn't supposed to be like this=)