WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

2006 325i Engine Tick

Snyperx

Question

I just purchased a used 2006 325i on Tuesday with 64k on the odometer. Last night I was pulling the car into the garage and noticed what I thought was a ticking coming from the engine. Now I know all engines have some "ticking" due to the lifters, but I am not sure if mine is normal or it is the dreaded ticking caused by the bad cylinder head design I have read about. This also could be me being paranoid since this is my first BMW and I am coming from Toyota. As a precaution I emailed the dealer that sold me the car, Zimbrick BMW in Madison, and even sent a not to BMW NA. I love the car and drives fantastic. I would like to keep this car around to 100k+ miles.

My worst fear is that it will need the re-designed cylinder head which will cost something like $5k to $7500. I have no way to pay for that at this time.

Any help you folks can provide is greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Have seen this isue many times. I assume you have an e90 with a n52. The ticking noise will not cause any damage to your engine, it may get a little louder or start to happen more frequently but that is all is going to be. Just a noise. First case of action would be to replace your exhaust lifters. Which about 85% of the time has fixed the issue. Next step after that would be to replace the entire head assembly which as you know is pretty pricey. If you can deal with the noise id just leave it.

Edited by tsweers89

I filled up tonight with 93 octane and added a bottle of sea foam to the tank for good measure. May run some through the crankcase on the next oil change.

@tsweers89

I would be willing to do some wrenching on the car if it comes to that. Can I keep you posted? Would appreciate any help that any of you can offer.

I filled up tonight with 93 octane and added a bottle of sea foam to the tank for good measure. May run some through the crankcase on the next oil change.

@tsweers89

I would be willing to do some wrenching on the car if it comes to that. Can I keep you posted? Would appreciate any help that any of you can offer.

Sea Foam or Lukas oil, etc will not do anything for this problem. You need to replace the lifters to have any chance in getting rid of the tick. As far as doing it yourself i wouldn't recommend it. You need a cam holding tool, need to be precise on taking it apart and putting it back together and replace some of the aluminum bolts as they are torque to yield bolts. The cam/carrier can be damaged rather easy. Also need a toque wrench and angle gauge as the camshaft is torqued to a certain amount and then 45 degrees.

UPDATE: So I have been listening to my engine for the last week or so and I think I have been over paranoid. I compared my noise to a few of the videos on the net and I can firmly say that my vehicle does not sound like the net videos. I will move forward keeping it in the back of my head, but I don't think I need to being worrying at this point.

You are over paranoid lol!! All these e9x have the loudest noiset engines BMW has ever made. Everyone has the same concern at first. Just drive it and learn it well. And Disconnect the battery over right. Just the negative terminal and be sure not to close the trunk. Next day drive it like a bat put of hell. You'll get some hidden power back that the car has bc it's so adaptive to driving.