WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 timing belt change

6670charger

Question

Finally decided to pull the pin and do my timing belt change.  Had been putting it off for months due to lack of confidence in getting the timing right.  After doing some searches and finding a few decent looking DIY's, I decided that the only thing holding me back was fear and common sense.

Got the belt changed yesterday, along with the water pump and tensioner, and the front of the engine about half re-assembled before I had to go to work.  Figure I still have about 60-90 minutes worth of work in putting the upper pulley, accessory belts, hoses, distributor, radiator and fan back in.

Got the belt in without too much fanfare, and double checked the markings to make sure I was still at TDC after 3-4 rotations of the crankshaft.  As long as I don't forget something somewhere, I anticipate a successful startup later today.

Looking forward to not having to worry about timing belt issues for another 3-4 years/50-60K miles.

Just replaced my non-functioning power antenna with one from an E36 a few days ago also.  Before you know it, I'm going to have a brand new car.  LOL

7 answers to this question

I remember my first timing belt....Brings back memories....

BTW Cirrus Blau is my favorite color. I have a 88 eta same color. I am not sure what years it was offered. To the best of my knowledge it was offered in 87 and 88 but I could be wrong. You don't see that color often.

What year is your car?

Mine's an 88.

Finished the timing belt swap, and seems to run fine.  Heater only seems to work when the engine is revved, but, haven't road tested it yet.  Might simply be an issue of new coolant not having fully moved through the system yet, and need to add a little more.

All in all, I'm satisfied so far.  Will have a much better idea of what I'm doing the next time around.